speed problem WLan

speed problem WLan
speed problem WLan
2024-03-20 09:18:07 - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: ER707-M2   TL-SG3210XHP-M2   EAP650  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hello!

The data throughput in the WLAN is somehow limited in my network.

For example, when I do a WiFi speed test with different devices in the immediate vicinity of the wired AP, I usually only get between 100-150 MBit in the downstream and, funnily enough, more in the upstream. Measured via LAN, of course, the world looks different with a fiber optic line with 1000/250. The same when I move Data from a client via WLan to the NAS and the way around.

The WLAN is somehow not consistent. I can't pinpoint a culprit yet.

I use the following components here

OC-200
ER707-M2 ROUTER
SG3210X-M2 SWITCH
EAP650(EU) wired ACESS POINT
EAP650(EU) wired ACESS POINT
EAP650(EU) repeater ACESS POINT
EAP610-Outdoor wired ACESS POINT
EAP225-Outdoor repeater ACESS POINT

I only have basic knowledge and am familiarizing myself with the system. Surely it can also be related to a setting. I'm just at a point now where I can't get any further and would really appreciate some help.

Best regards

Frank

Options
4 Reply
Re:speed problem WLan
2024-03-21 09:24:17

@Liftboy 

How is the speed measured? When testing the speed, perhaps different approaches will yield different results. I recommend using iperf to measure the speed. To test the speed, follow these guidelines:https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/3105/

Furthermore, which band do you relate to?2.4G or 5G? Do you also try testing the speed on a different device?Take note of the client's link speed when you test the speed. Here's the link to check the wireless client's link speed:https://www.tp-link.com/support/faq/2265/

Furthermore, have you configured the SSID with any additional settings? The network can be optimized by using WLAN optimization.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-03-22 07:02:43

@Hank21

Thank you very much for your help Hank21!

I have carried out the measurement with different devices (Thinkpad, Pixel7pro, etc.) on different EAP650s. Direct proximity 5Ghz.

Here I used f.e. the app speedtest (speedtest.net) to measure the internet speed.

I also copied files to and from the Synology NAS connected with 2.5GB. In both cases, the possible capacity of the connection was not utilised.

The fibre optic connection has 1000Mbit down and 250 MBit up (verified via LAN) The upload speed is reached and the download speed is 200 MBit. The same applies to copying files to and from the NAS. There the upload speed is 70-80 and the download speed is 50.

The WLan optimisation is on and only works with an AP (EAP 653) that works as a repeater. Except for one outdoor AP, the others are connected via LAN and then a yellow exclamation mark appears next to the model with the message "the AP in the mesh network does not support AI Wlan optimisation".

I have also deactivated IDS/IPS Intrusion Detection/Prevention. Then I swapped the switch for the former Netgear - nothing worked.

I will swap all the patch cables again today. I have already rebooted the devices.

I have also integrated a raspberry as a DNS filter (homeassistant, AdGuard) as a DNS server. I disconnected it and it has nothing to do with the internet speed - it didn't help.

Regards,

Frank

Options
2024-03-26 02:11:20

Liftboy wrote

@Hank21

Thank you very much for your help Hank21!

I have carried out the measurement with different devices (Thinkpad, Pixel7pro, etc.) on different EAP650s. Direct proximity 5Ghz.

Here I used f.e. the app speedtest (speedtest.net) to measure the internet speed.

I also copied files to and from the Synology NAS connected with 2.5GB. In both cases, the possible capacity of the connection was not utilised.

The fibre optic connection has 1000Mbit down and 250 MBit up (verified via LAN) The upload speed is reached and the download speed is 200 MBit. The same applies to copying files to and from the NAS. There the upload speed is 70-80 and the download speed is 50.

The WLan optimisation is on and only works with an AP (EAP 653) that works as a repeater. Except for one outdoor AP, the others are connected via LAN and then a yellow exclamation mark appears next to the model with the message "the AP in the mesh network does not support AI Wlan optimisation".

I have also deactivated IDS/IPS Intrusion Detection/Prevention. Then I swapped the switch for the former Netgear - nothing worked.

I will swap all the patch cables again today. I have already rebooted the devices.

I have also integrated a raspberry as a DNS filter (homeassistant, AdGuard) as a DNS server. I disconnected it and it has nothing to do with the internet speed - it didn't help.

Regards,

Frank

Hi @Liftboy 

Have you checked the link speed when connect to the EAP SSID? Please also go to controller > Devices > select EAP to check Uplink, what is the Negotiated Speed here?

Please help to test the speed between the EAP and the wireless client, what is the result? 

There are many factors that can affect wireless network speed. We would appreciate your assistance in checking if there are any other potential factors in the network that could be impacting the wireless network speed. Please let us know the results of your tests.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Sorry, I didn't realise there was a new post. Thank you very much for your help.

I have iperf running via an AP with two notebooks. I could also use different AP's.

The speed is now "unbearable" and I have no idea what the problem could be.

I have set all settings in the radios of the AP's to Automatic for all bands, etc... no limit in the settings.

Here is the result from iperf:

[  4] local 192.168.0.101 port 5001 connected with 192.168.0.57 port 64035
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  4]  0.0-10.1 sec  25.9 MBytes  21.5 Mbits/sec

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 151

Replies: 4

Related Articles