Upgrading my Jetstream Switch Firmware

2024-03-20 17:00:08 - last edited 2024-03-22 06:25:25
Model: SG2008P  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: Original

Hello!

I have a TL-SG2008P jetstream switch and would like to perform a firmware upgrade on it.

However, I have a few quick questions as I need to verify the following:

- Can I upgrade directly from original firmware to the latest one (https://www.tp-link.com/de/support/download/tl-sg2008p/v3/#Firmware) ?

- In case I've created vlans and acls already on the switch, should I first reset everything before I make the firmware upgrade? I ask coz I've read somewhere on the forum that someone had issues with the new firmware showing weird characters (like dashes) for settings it couldn't take..

- will my settings be erased?

- lastly, my switch GUI has a section called "Controller". I have it disabled by default. What is this controller setting? I assume it is an option to link up with some other device which probably is the "controller" I guess. Or is my switch the controller? The confusion comes from the fact the device page online has a "Controller Software" updates section separate from the firmware updates section.

Excuse me, I'll get there! Have a good one:)

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Upgrading my Jetstream Switch Firmware-Solution
2024-03-21 03:15:45 - last edited 2024-03-22 06:25:25

Hi @Matt677 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

In very rare case, there is a problem when you upgrade from the earlier one to the latest one. We will add the note in the description area in that case.

If you don't see that description, then you are okay to upgrade it without any concerns.

No.

Usually, firmware upgrades do not reset the settings. It is written in the release note.

Controller setting is not your concern if you don't use the Controller. It is used for the adoption-related features when you adopt it to the controller.

Controller specifically refers to the Omada Controller. Omada is a business series and solution for centralized management.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:Upgrading my Jetstream Switch Firmware-Solution
2024-03-21 03:15:45 - last edited 2024-03-22 06:25:25

Hi @Matt677 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

In very rare case, there is a problem when you upgrade from the earlier one to the latest one. We will add the note in the description area in that case.

If you don't see that description, then you are okay to upgrade it without any concerns.

No.

Usually, firmware upgrades do not reset the settings. It is written in the release note.

Controller setting is not your concern if you don't use the Controller. It is used for the adoption-related features when you adopt it to the controller.

Controller specifically refers to the Omada Controller. Omada is a business series and solution for centralized management.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Upgrading my Jetstream Switch Firmware
3 weeks ago

@Clive_A  Thanks a lot!!

Excuse me for the delay, I finally managed to allocate some time for the task. I upgraded the firmware as advised and it went smoothly, wonderful!

Options