ER7212PC - management features missing / help

2024-03-26 01:02:19 - last edited 2024-03-26 01:03:27
Model: ER7212PC  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: v1_1.1.2_20240102

New user, finding my way.  Several management questions/issues:

A) Trying to setup a custom Dynamic DNS update.

Option is available in this firmware, but I can't seem to figure how how to enable it.

The form asks for Interface, user, password, domain name, update interval, URL.

The service URL is of the form h t t p s colon slash slash  user:password at example dot com colon 1234 slash DDNS

1234 is a port number; credentials are not required as long as the Authorization header is provided. (e.g. from the form)

The service determines the IP address from the connection, and the domain name to update from the username used to authenticate.

All that it requires is a periodic GET (With Basic authentication)

No matter what I put into the URL box, I get a red "Invalid Format" when it loses focus.

Questions:

Is the user:password in the URL the same as the username/password on the form?  If not, how are they related?

What does the router do with the domain name for a custom update?  The form complains if I leave it blank.  My service doesn't need it, but it can be specified.  Better if I could leave it blank.  Is it available in the URL with some magic mark?

In short, how should I fill in the form to get this service to work?

B) The world has embraced Let's Encrypt TLS certificates.  Please add an ACME client so that LE can be used.  LE certificates are free, but renew every 60 days.  So it must be automated.

C) SSH - might be an option for adding a 3rd-party ACME client.  But it seems only to accept password authentication.  Please support Public-Key authentication, which is much, much more secure!

D) The VPN Client manual indicates that WireGuard is an option.  The firmware doesn't seem to have it.  My other servers all use WireGuard.  Is it hiding on the router?  If not, another request: Please add it.  It's much easier to deal with, secure, and requires fewer computes than the alternatives...

These items aside, first impressions are very positive.

Options
1 Reply
Re:ER7212PC - management features missing / help
2024-03-26 17:19:01

Some progress on DDNS.

The form fields genreate  [USERNAME] [PASSWORD] and [DOMAIN] tokens that must appear somewhere in the URL.  This isn't obvious, or documented.  Found others ran into it after a lot of digging on-line.  The page really should explain this when custom is selected.

Updates are not being issued when expected.  With a dynamic IP address, I have never seen an update.  (I own the target server.)  However: If I assign a static IP address, updates arrive when the address changes.  This is precisely backwards from what is expected/necessary.

With a dynamic IP address, nothing generates DDNS updates.  Not removing and re-inserting the internet cable; Nor power cycling the router. Or anything else.  I tried various combinations of switching between static and dynamic addresses; subnets.  The only constant is that switching to or between static IP addresses issues DDNS updates.  Nothing else does.

With respect to SSH - I logged-in (as master administrator) and found commands enable, disable, help, and exit.  Whether or not enabled, nothing else.  This doesn't seem very useful.  What can one do from the command prompt?  Can one access a reasonable shell?

Thanks.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 91

Replies: 1

Voters 0

No one has voted for it yet.