EAP670 multicast loop.

EAP670 multicast loop.

EAP670 multicast loop.
EAP670 multicast loop.
2024-03-26 14:51:58 - last edited 2024-03-26 14:55:46
Model: EAP670  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.13

I have two EAP670 APs. For the last few months (since 1.0.10, if I recall) I have seen what looked like a spanning tree loop that would occur around weekly, but sometimes more frequently. It turns out this is not a spanning tree / bridge loop, but a multicast flooding issue. I have seen a number of threads pointing this out and providing possible solutions. I have gone through these solutions and tried, I believe, every one of them. I was finally able to capture a packet trace using tcpdump during one of the events. It does appear to be caused by a google/nest dot, but even removing the google device from the network during the event does not clear the issue. The only solution is to power off one of the APs and power it back on after a few seconds. This multicast loop is incredibly frustrating, and has made me consider move back to my EAP615-Wall APs. I don't know really what else to try, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. FWIW, the latest firmware (1.0.14) made the problem an order of magnitude worse. 

Interestingly, the packet trace shows that the google device which is on the SSID attached to VLAN4, which is tagged to the AP, is showing up on the untagged management vlan (809). Attached is a network diagram:

FWIW, I have also removed VRRP to reduce complexity and yielded no improvement, as expected.  

Options
4 Reply
Re:EAP670 multicast loop.
2024-03-26 14:54:37 - last edited 2024-03-26 14:55:10

@ndb217 

Attached is a screenshot of the packet capture viewed in wireshark 

Options
2024-03-27 08:32:42

Hi@ndb217 

Please try to enable theMulticast-to-Unicast Conversion feature on the EAP. On controller, please go to Settings > Wireless Networks, click in the ACTION column of the wireless SSID which you want to configure, and click + Multicast/Broadcast Management to enable Multicast-to-Unicast Conversion. 

Please also enable the IGMP function on the front end device. 

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-03-27 11:37:15

@Hank21 

Multicast to unicast is enabled. I built config for igmp last night, I thought it had been enabled but it was not. Thank you for the pointer - will report back with results. 

Options
2 weeks ago

@ndb217 

Quick follow up here. I verified that I had multicast to unicast enabled on the controller. I also verified that I did *not* have IGMP running on my switch (which I thought I did). After configuring IGMP on the L2 switch, I have so far not seen any multicast loops. They would often occur around 0400 on Monday mornings and thus far have not appeared for 2 weeks. 

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 150

Replies: 4

Related Articles