Connecting Multiple Omada Layer 3 Switch via Omada Gateway

2024-03-29 23:40:44 - last edited 2024-04-01 17:57:10

Assumption:

• VLAN 1 is the management VLAN
  • One Gateway
  • Two Layer 3 Switches (Switch A, and Switch B)
    • Layer 3 Switch A, IP x.100 - VLANs 10, 20
    • Layer 3 Switch B, IP x.200 - VLANs 30, 40

Many of the early Omada Layer 3 Switch (prior to 2023) doesn't support dynamic routing (i.e. OSPF, IS-IS, RIP v2 or BGP), prior to the SG6x series of Layer 3 Switch. So when implementing multiple independent Omada Layer 3 Switch, each Layer 3 Switch will NOT know how to reach the VLANs that are not "locally" defined. This means that L3 Switch A does not know how to reach VLANs 30 and 40 that are defined on L3 Switch B; and just the same, L3 Switch B does not know how to reach VLANs 10 and 20 that are defined on L3 Switch A. A Switch static route can be added, but to "route" these VLANs without any special configuration to the L3 Switch A and L3 Switch B, these independent L3 Switches can be connected to Omada Gateway and a Static Route can be added in Omada Gateway. With this set up, the Gateway will manage the routing between L3 Switch A and L3 Switch B.

Note: When doing Gateway Static Route, it is not the same as Layer 3 Switch Static Route.

High Level Set Up Steps:

1. Connect Omada Gateway xLAN Port 1 to Layer 3 Switch A
  2. Connect Omada Gateway xLAN Port 2 to Layer 3 Switch B
  3. Gateway Static Route 1 > VLANs 10/20 > Next Hop > Switch A x.100
  4. Gateway Static Route 2 > VLANs 30/40 > Next Hop > Switch B x.200

To avoid any conflict, there are also a few nuances to watch out for:

1. Be vigilant of using Profile "All" for Gateway and Switch uplink.
    With multiple Layer 3 Switches and their defined VLANs, profile "All" will include VLANs defined in all of the Layer 3 Switches.
    Depending on implementation, this may or may not be something that is needed across ALL the Layer 3 Switches in the environment.
  2. Create an alternate profile to represent "All" for each Layer 3 Switch.
    For example, create new Profile that have VLAN 1 (Untag), VLAN x (Tagged), VLAN y (Tagged) in each L3 Switch
    This way, all the VLANs defined in that Layer 3 switch can be configured as uplink/downlink to Access Points and Access Switches.
  3. And because of that, remember that Access Points and Access Switches connected to that L3 Switch, can only provide VLANs in that Layer 3 Switch.

If you would like to see this in action, I have a video demonstrating it as well as how it affects the number of hops based on where the source and destinaton devices are connected. I have also added a sample diagram of how it looks.

LAN Diagram

Options
3 Reply
Re:Connecting Multiple Omada Layer 3 Switch via Omada Gateway
2024-04-01 00:53:59

Hi @Death_Metal 

Thank you for another great post about our Omada switch and router.

We do have some L3 switches released a few months ago. I am not sure if it is available on the market yet. But you can check this out: https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/omada-switch-l3-l2-managed/?filterby=6384

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-04-01 14:40:29 - last edited 2024-04-01 17:58:04

@Clive_A  thanks!!! My TP Link website is set for "US" so if I keep that settings, I get this message "Sorry, no results were found. Please adjust your filter" (screenshot below) But when I used incognito or another browser and force-use your link, I found those new L3 switches that supports dynamic routing. That is amazing, thanks for sharing! It will take me awhile to get one since none of the SKUs are available in US (Amazon, NewEgg, Bestbuy, the usual stores) and judging by the looks of it, I will probably need to save up to get a couple to try out VRRP. I'd probably get the SG6428X once they become available here in the US, as that is probably the least expensive. Thanks again for the info, I don't get to see these as I only see the older SKUs, it's the first time I see these guys. Judging by the firmware for SG6428X, these L3s were release only January'24 this year!. 

Update:looks like I will not be able to get my hands on the full-blown L3 switches anytime soon. I found a retailer selling SG6428X for £2,398.88 inc VAT!!!. The price is more than all of my Omada devices combined :).. I have updated the OP as well to share that SG6x series is available and supports dynamic routing.

Options
2024-04-02 01:18:18

Hi @Death_Metal 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Death_Metal wrote

@Clive_A  thanks!!! My TP Link website is set for "US" so if I keep that settings, I get this message "Sorry, no results were found. Please adjust your filter" (screenshot below) But when I used incognito or another browser and force-use your link, I found those new L3 switches that supports dynamic routing. That is amazing, thanks for sharing! It will take me awhile to get one since none of the SKUs are available in US (Amazon, NewEgg, Bestbuy, the usual stores) and judging by the looks of it, I will probably need to save up to get a couple to try out VRRP. I'd probably get the SG6428X once they become available here in the US, as that is probably the least expensive. Thanks again for the info, I don't get to see these as I only see the older SKUs, it's the first time I see these guys. Judging by the firmware for SG6428X, these L3s were release only January'24 this year!. 

Update:looks like I will not be able to get my hands on the full-blown L3 switches anytime soon. I found a retailer selling SG6428X for £2,398.88 inc VAT!!!. The price is more than all of my Omada devices combined :).. I have updated the OP as well to share that SG6x series is available and supports dynamic routing.

AFAIK, I tried to borrow some Layer 3 switches but the first batch has been shipped to some countries and regions. I am not sure of its destination. Hopefully, people can get their hands on these new and fancy models.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 299

Replies: 3

Related Articles