TL-SG3428X-M2 v1.0 power supply coil whine

2024-04-12 17:02:25 - last edited 2024-04-12 17:04:14
Model: TL-SG3428X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.5

Hi,

I purchased a TL-SG3428X-M2 recently, I received V1.0 and was very surprised when I heard coil whine from the power supply. It is actually louder than the fan. I am a bit worried it could be a bad power supply. I have another one in order, I hope they don't have all this issue.

Does anyone else have this issue?

Options
17 Reply
Re:TL-SG3428X-M2 v1.0 power supply coil whine
2024-04-15 03:06:22

Hi @tessierp 
Thanks for posting in our business forum.

The hardware version for this model is V1.0. If there is any questions about this, please refer to the guide:

Unplug the power and try a different outlet. Make sure you have plugged the cables in and firmly. Or it may be a whine due to the loose connection.

If this persists, and you are seriously worried about it, you may contact your retailer to change one and check if this persists.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-04-15 03:22:42

@Clive_A 

Hi,

All outlets cause the same issues.

Options
2024-04-15 06:23:57

Hi @tessierp

tessierp wrote

@Clive_A 

Hi,

All outlets cause the same issues.

OK. Then same issue on the second unit you have?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-04-15 14:21:29

@Clive_A 

I received the second V1.0 of this switch this morning and it has the same coil whine, although a bit higher pitched than the other switch.

I'm not sure if this is an issue that only plagues v1.0 of these switches? Do you have a version 1.0 oor 2.0 of this switch @Clive_A ?

Options
2024-04-16 02:02:20

Hi @tessierp 

tessierp wrote

@Clive_A 

I received the second V1.0 of this switch this morning and it has the same coil whine, although a bit higher pitched than the other switch.

I'm not sure if this is an issue that only plagues v1.0 of these switches? Do you have a version 1.0 oor 2.0 of this switch @Clive_A ?

It might be normal. Can you describe the sound of it? Video? Or any type of format that can directly give me an idea about how it sounds.

I don't have it unless I borrow one from the warehouse. It would take several days and I am not sure if the warehouse has one in stock and available for me.

In the past, we had some models with different hardware versions which has their power unit changed, the fan (or operating) sound from the power unit was louder than the fan.

Options
2024-04-16 02:38:51

@Clive_A 

I just made a video. You will see two TL-SG3428X-M2 switches on top and one TL-SG3210XHP-M2 at the bottom. They are not mounted yet as I am still debating if I should keep them on not. In the video you hear the sound of the power supplies from both TL-SG3428X-M2 while the fan on both are barely audible. It is quite the opposite with the TL-SG3210XHP-M2 where the power supply is almost silent but the fans can be heard.

From what you are saying looks like the v1.0 of the TL-SG3428X-M2 are the ones with the louder power supplies while I will guess v2.0 is quite the opposite and the fan is louder. That is a guess on my part since the I do not have a version two of the TL-SG3428X-M2. Mind you the TL-SG3210XHP-M2 is a version 2.0 but that is a different model.

If you could get your hands on a TL-SG3428X-M2 v1.0 from your warehouse it would be much appreciated to really find out if that is really a normal thing and not an actual issue. I wouldn't want to find myself with dying switches a few months down the road.

I still haven't tested the switches at load. I am waiting to get a bigger network rack which I will get tomorrow and I am hoping that under load the power supply doesn't get louder.

File:
video_2024-04-15_22-30-48.mp4Download
Options
2024-04-16 07:05:11

Hi @tessierp 

tessierp wrote

@Clive_A 

I just made a video. You will see two TL-SG3428X-M2 switches on top and one TL-SG3210XHP-M2 at the bottom. They are not mounted yet as I am still debating if I should keep them on not. In the video you hear the sound of the power supplies from both TL-SG3428X-M2 while the fan on both are barely audible. It is quite the opposite with the TL-SG3210XHP-M2 where the power supply is almost silent but the fans can be heard.

From what you are saying looks like the v1.0 of the TL-SG3428X-M2 are the ones with the louder power supplies while I will guess v2.0 is quite the opposite and the fan is louder. That is a guess on my part since the I do not have a version two of the TL-SG3428X-M2. Mind you the TL-SG3210XHP-M2 is a version 2.0 but that is a different model.

If you could get your hands on a TL-SG3428X-M2 v1.0 from your warehouse it would be much appreciated to really find out if that is really a normal thing and not an actual issue. I wouldn't want to find myself with dying switches a few months down the road.

I still haven't tested the switches at load. I am waiting to get a bigger network rack which I will get tomorrow and I am hoping that under load the power supply doesn't get louder.

I have notified the dev and test team about this. Gonna be a while before the test team can confirm if there is any issue with it or not.

Options
2024-04-16 11:13:49

@Clive_A 

Sounds good and much appreciated. Do you know approximately how much time before we can get an answer? Are we talking a week or two?

Thanks

Options
2024-04-17 02:20:35

Hi @tessierp 

tessierp wrote

@Clive_A 

Sounds good and much appreciated. Do you know approximately how much time before we can get an answer? Are we talking a week or two?

Thanks

I cannot guarantee this. My initial thought is this is normal. I don't know what the dev, PM and manufacturing managers think about this. If you believe this is a serious problem for your network, you can first return it as you have concerns about this.

Options
2024-04-17 12:23:19

@Clive_A 

The noise itself is manageable. Just want to make sure the noise doesn't hide a power issue and then face a dying power supply. Let me know what your team thinks, I will be waiting. 

Thank you!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 671

Replies: 17

Related Articles