EAP245 wifi retries rate: how to reduce?

a week ago
Model: EAP245  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 5.0.4 Build 20211021 Rel. 57494

Hello! I have 11 EAP245's. They are generally doing fine, but one location has a very high retries rate.

Initially I thought that perhaps there is something wrong with the device, I swapped that with another one in somewhere, where there is usually nobody. But it didn't change: whatever I put in that location, it gets high retry rate. Obviously it's an environmental problem. I did run wifi-analyzer and so, I have 2Ghz band turned off, 5GHz only, chose 36 (if I choose "Auto", it picks 36 anyway), width 40. Tx power 28.

There is a crane near by, but the retries rate seems independent of whether the crane is in operation. There are wifis in the neighborhood, but the signal strength is at most -85 or so, and it's all 2G, as far as my laptop can detect. Besides, a few other APs' of mine are in the range to get the same interference, but they are doing fine.

All the other APs have "flat" retries. There is no drop or error at all.

Is there anything I should try? I would appreciate your suggestions!

Options
4 Reply
Re:EAP245 wifi retries rate: how to reduce?
a week ago

doremifajb wrote

Hello! I have 11 EAP245's. They are generally doing fine, but one location has a very high retries rate.

Initially I thought that perhaps there is something wrong with the device, I swapped that with another one in somewhere, where there is usually nobody. But it didn't change: whatever I put in that location, it gets high retry rate. Obviously it's an environmental problem. I did run wifi-analyzer and so, I have 2Ghz band turned off, 5GHz only, chose 36 (if I choose "Auto", it picks 36 anyway), width 40. Tx power 28.

There is a crane near by, but the retries rate seems independent of whether the crane is in operation. There are wifis in the neighborhood, but the signal strength is at most -85 or so, and it's all 2G, as far as my laptop can detect. Besides, a few other APs' of mine are in the range to get the same interference, but they are doing fine.

All the other APs have "flat" retries. There is no drop or error at all.

Is there anything I should try? I would appreciate your suggestions!

Hi @doremifajb 

It might be related to the interference of the environment. Could you go to devices page and select this EAP, and take a screenshot of the page of EAP? It will show the Rx/Tx Frames, Interference statistic etc here.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
a week ago

@Hank21 Thank you for your reply ! Here are the current screen shots. I couldn't find "interference statistics": just a beam, I'm not sure if it's showing the interference right now, or the last 24 hours.

Options
a week ago

Hi @doremifajb 

Thanks for sharing. When you select the EAP under Devices page, you can see the current interference on 5GHz. For the Retried packets, there might be unstable connection between EAP and wireless device, or there are much interference at that time. You can try to enable the 2.4GHz on this EAP, and compare the interference on 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

Or may I know whether the high retried packet has affected your actual usage? You may try to monitor the performance of EAP or monitor the connection on wireless device.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
a week ago

@Hank21 Thank you for your reply!I have an impression that with EAP245, 2GHz wave is generally less stable/weaker than 5GHz. On 2GHz network, for example, Rx Rate 11Mbs/Tx Rate 65Mbs, when RSSI is -55dBm, whereas on 5GHz it's like 240/120 Rx/Tx.  The user(s) in that area were connecting to 2GHz network of a bit distant AP, so I brought another one in there, so that they can use 5GHz. When I checked on my own, it was doing fine (I streamed super HD quality video on youtube.)

One of them told me that, depending on the time, the movies can be quite choppy. I assume that it is the result of reties. I got to know that guy who told me, but he is gone, someone else lives there and I don't know him..... (it's a short-term rental apartment) I could check on my own if I go with a cleaning lady, but if it is time-dependent, it's hard to see.

I wonder, if someone let his device connected and half-asleep, the antenna gets weaker, in order to save the battery. Could it cause high retry rate?

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 94

Replies: 4

Related Articles