Questions as a first time Omada user

2024-04-21 23:38:20 - last edited 2024-04-22 01:14:31

As a first-time Omada user, I have several inquiries about setting up a network for a student hostel accommodating 60-80 students. The goal is to use Omada's Hotspot Manager feature for a captive portal, ensuring only paying students can access the internet. Each student ID will be limited to two concurrent logins, allowing the use of two devices per student. With 70 students, the total number of devices could reach 140, potentially increasing to 200 in the future. VLANs will be established to separate the student WiFi from the hostel's administrative network.

The current equipment list includes:
- A 600 Megabit/sec fiber connection
- ER7206 Router/Gateway
- Three EAP660 HD APs
- OC300 Controller
- TL-SG2210P Switch

My questions are:
1. Can I opt for lower variants like the ER605 router and OC200 controller without compromising the user experience for the number of clients expected?
2. Would the ER7212PC Omada 3-in-1 Gigabit VPN Router, which combines the controller, switch, and router, be capable of handling 250+ clients?
3. Does the captive portal function as intended, limiting each student ID to two logins, and can lower-tier hardware manage this number of logins?

I would appreciate any tips or recommendations for setting up this network, as it is my first time managing a system of this scale. Thank you.

CDN media

Options
1 Reply
Re:Questions as a first time Omada user
2024-04-23 09:10:05

Hi @Yash_Kanawjia 

As the client devices might reach up to 200, the ER7206 or above router will be recommended instead of the ER605. And the OC200 should be fine since the performance of OC200 will be enough.

The ER7212PC is not really recommended, as you will configure the VLAN and portal etc on controller. And the controller version on ER7212PC is not up-to-date compare with the OC200/OC300. Some updates on the portal feature have not been applied to the ER7212PC.

You can use either of the local users or the vouchers to limit the user counts. For voucher, you can select the type as Limited Online Users.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 256

Replies: 1

Related Articles