mld snooping drop unknown multicast

2024-04-23 20:18:39 - last edited 2024-04-24 01:03:19
Model: TL-SG3210  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

In ipv4, in omada turning igmp snooping on results in flood unknown multicast being turned off

In ipv6, in omada turning mld snooping on results in flood unkonwn multicast being on

Is there a way to turn it off so when I use ipv6 multicast I dont get flooded traffic to things that aren't asking for it?

It is possible to do in standalone and works correctly, but I would prefer to use omada to centrally manage things

Options
5 Reply
Re:mld snooping drop unknown multicast
2024-04-24 01:48:39 - last edited 2024-04-24 02:26:34

Hi @Challpesa 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

In the controller mode, enabling IPv4 or v6 multicast, unknown will be discarded by default, checked with the test team.

How do you verify that IPv6 is not working? Wireshark results? Please provide the screenshots.

Standalone, you have the option to forward or discard.

BTW, where do you find MLD Snooping for the switch config? I don't find the place to configure MLD on the switch in controller mode.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-04-24 13:09:33 - last edited 2024-04-24 14:02:44

@Clive_A  this is with MLD snooping turned on for that VLAN in omada 

It doesn't do this with IGMP snooping, and it doesn't do this when I turn it on in standalone mode, because I can select the option to discard the unknown groups packets, instead of flooding them out all of the ports

Here is where the settings are in omada

Options
2024-04-25 03:56:57

Hi @Challpesa 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Challpesa wrote

@Clive_A  this is with MLD snooping turned on for that VLAN in omada 

It doesn't do this with IGMP snooping, and it doesn't do this when I turn it on in standalone mode, because I can select the option to discard the unknown groups packets, instead of flooding them out all of the ports

Here is where the settings are in omada

You should also see the same unknown group in the IPv4. It's just not that many.

Use this CLI:

ip igmp snooping drop-unknown and ipv6 mld snooping drop-unknown

You can use CLI Configuration > Device CLI to use them.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
2024-04-25 04:18:03 - last edited 2024-04-25 04:22:05

@Clive_A 

no it doesn't happen with IGMP. 

I've looked at it in a wireshark but you don't even have to. I'm so familiar with switch flooding at this point I can just look at the light patterns on the front of a switch and know if it's flooding or not

I will try to use the CLI commands from omada and see what happens

Options
2024-04-25 17:33:07
The options you gave did prevent the flooding under omada control, but I have a different issue now. I had set up a querier r for MLD snooping on that vlan when testing in standalone because without it the multicast stream drops out after the 30 second aging period Is there a list of cli commands related to MLD snooping settings you can link me to? I tried ipv6 mld snooping querrier vlan # but it says failed to execute command
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 243

Replies: 5

Related Articles