Windows displays "Open browser, Action needed" when connected to mesh, thinks there is no internet

Windows displays "Open browser, Action needed" when connected to mesh, thinks there is no internet

a week ago
Model: OC200  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version: 2.14.4 Build 20240304 Rel.54311

I have had the OC200 with several (14ish) EAP-225 Outdoor successfully without issue for many events over several years, however I've recently rebuilt the network from scratch and also added a TP-Link ER7206 router to take the DHCP away from the Zyxel 4G box. The Zyxel is connected to the router’s dedicated WAN port, and the mesh root AP is connected via the LAN port.

The network configuration is pretty vanilla, however when the Windows clients connect to the network they show either "No internet connection" (Windows 10) or "Open browser, Action Needed" (Windows 11). I know the captive portal stuff has been expanded in recent software versions, but that is all turned off, but the behaviour on the Windows clients is as if its turned on.

Clicking on the “Open browser, action needed” link in Windows 11 takes you momentarily to the 'msftconnecttest,com/redirect' address you sometime see on captive portals, but internet connectivity is available. Many apps however use Windows' connection status to determine if they 'can work'.   

My Android phone does not report any issues. I cannot fathom what mesh / OC200 setting is causing this, can anyone please shed any light?

Many thanks,
Steve

Options
3 Reply
Re:Windows displays "Open browser, Action needed" when connected to mesh, thinks there is no internet
a week ago

SteveHeathfield wrote

I have had the OC200 with several (14ish) EAP-225 Outdoor successfully without issue for many events over several years, however I've recently rebuilt the network from scratch and also added a TP-Link ER7206 router to take the DHCP away from the Zyxel 4G box. The Zyxel is connected to the router’s dedicated WAN port, and the mesh root AP is connected via the LAN port.

The network configuration is pretty vanilla, however when the Windows clients connect to the network they show either "No internet connection" (Windows 10) or "Open browser, Action Needed" (Windows 11). I know the captive portal stuff has been expanded in recent software versions, but that is all turned off, but the behaviour on the Windows clients is as if its turned on.

Clicking on the “Open browser, action needed” link in Windows 11 takes you momentarily to the 'msftconnecttest,com/redirect' address you sometime see on captive portals, but internet connectivity is available. Many apps however use Windows' connection status to determine if they 'can work'.   

My Android phone does not report any issues. I cannot fathom what mesh / OC200 setting is causing this, can anyone please shed any light?

Many thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve @SteveHeathfield 

What if you create a test SSID without any advanced settings and see whether the Windows clients still encounter the same issue?

If rather, please try to clear the SSID record on both the Windows client and controller. On controller page, go to Insights > Known Clients and try to forget them. Let's see whether it will happen again.

You can share some screenshots on your SSID setting page if the issue persists.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:Windows displays "Open browser, Action needed" when connected to mesh, thinks there is no internet
a week ago

Hello @Hank21 ,

Thanks for the tips, I have done the following but it hasn't made any difference.

• Removed all existing SSIDs on the OC200 (there was only one, 'TraderPayments')
  • Made the controller 'forget' both laptops
  • Removed all related saved networks from Windows 11 and 10 and done "netsh int ip reset" on the Windows 11 (can't on Windows 10 as its work laptop)
  • Added a new SSID "VIP"
  • Connected both Windows 10 and 11 laptops
  • Same issue occurred on VIP SSID
  • Re-added previous 'TraderPayments' SSID and created new connections to it for both laptops
  • Same issue on new 'TraderPaymens' SSID on both laptops

It did occur to me that I dont have any 6G devices, so maybe that should be turned off, but I can't imagine it would make a difference.

Here is an image of the main SSID config, other than the security, it's all the defaults:

Options
a week ago

SteveHeathfield wrote

Hello @Hank21 ,

Thanks for the tips, I have done the following but it hasn't made any difference.

• Removed all existing SSIDs on the OC200 (there was only one, 'TraderPayments')
  • Made the controller 'forget' both laptops
  • Removed all related saved networks from Windows 11 and 10 and done "netsh int ip reset" on the Windows 11 (can't on Windows 10 as its work laptop)
  • Added a new SSID "VIP"
  • Connected both Windows 10 and 11 laptops
  • Same issue occurred on VIP SSID
  • Re-added previous 'TraderPayments' SSID and created new connections to it for both laptops
  • Same issue on new 'TraderPaymens' SSID on both laptops

It did occur to me that I dont have any 6G devices, so maybe that should be turned off, but I can't imagine it would make a difference.

Here is an image of the main SSID config, other than the security, it's all the defaults:

Hi @SteveHeathfield 

The SSID setting looks normal. If there was not any portal nor other advanced settings on the SSID, could you please try to check the DNS settings on your router? Have you configured any DNS server?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 141

Replies: 3

Related Articles