Votes

Traffic monitoring

Votes

Traffic monitoring

Traffic monitoring
Traffic monitoring
a week ago - last edited a week ago

When is Omada planning on adding the basic real time time client and traffic monitoring that 95% of other mesh brands have and most other $20 routers have?

For that type of basic networking functionality, should the other non Omada mesh products be used instead?

It's getting a little embarrassing on forums when these people with brain dead cheap mesh networks can give useful information on how.much bandwidth a particular client is using and to where and when and then show everyone simple to consume historical graphs .  And then there's me with my multi thousand dollar Omada system just having to shrug and say "I don't know, Omada doesn't have client traffic monitoring. I'll hook up old Asus router for a few days so I can.get you that information and look cool doing it and never have to leave the Asus phone app."

Options
3 Reply
Re:Traffic monitoring
a week ago

JoshM wrote

When is Omada planning on adding the basic real time time client and traffic monitoring that 95% of other mesh brands have and most other $20 routers have?

For that type of basic networking functionality, should the other non Omada mesh products be used instead?

It's getting a little embarrassing on forums when these people with brain dead cheap mesh networks can give useful information on how.much bandwidth a particular client is using and to where and when and then show everyone simple to consume historical graphs .  And then there's me with my multi thousand dollar Omada system just having to shrug and say "I don't know, Omada doesn't have client traffic monitoring. I'll hook up old Asus router for a few days so I can.get you that information and look cool doing it and never have to leave the Asus phone app."

Hi @JoshM 

If you have the supported gateway and controller, you may try to set up the Deep Packet Inspection(DPI). DPI helps you identify, analyze, and control the traffic at the application layer in the network. You can refer to the set up steps or configuration guide to learn how to set up it.

To confirm whether your current gateway and controller supports the DPI or not, you can search the model at official website and check the latest release note. Or provide the modem and version of your devices and I will assist you to confirm whether they support DPI or not.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Thursday

@Hank21 

HI ,could you please confirm ER706W and ER7212Pc does it support DPI at this moment.

As well other omada router ?

Thanks.

Options
Thursday - last edited Thursday

@Hank21 

Yes I have a version that supports DPI. No, that's not what I mean.

1. The data is not real time.

2. Not available on mobile.

3. Doesn't show current bandwidth usage. It show how much TOTAL data has been uploaded and downloaded to a predefined URL/APP. And it does so delayed and as a summary.

4. Total upload and upload to 1 or 2 predicted urls is not even close to showing the current bandwidth, ips, and urls that a client is accessing real time.  Honestly, I don't get the usefulness of it. Why would I want to know how much traffic went to an AWS content delivery network last month? What could I even do with that information with no ips, no times, and no use information?

5. Has to inspect packets which is far too complicated for the simple task of just measuring bandwidth usage.

No, DPI is not real time client traffic monitoring nor is it even close.

Here is a screenshot from asus, for example:

...which, by the way is sortable, clickable, updates at least once a second, and has useful context menus like adding a qos, bandwidth cap, history for that client, etc.

Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 104

Replies: 3

Voters 1