Switch stacking

Switch stacking

Switch stacking
Switch stacking
a week ago - last edited a week ago

Hello, I noticed that in the CLI and User Guides recently updated for the SX3008F switch, these now include UI & CLI commands to configure switch stacking, but these are not implemented in the v1.20.0 firmware - can you tell us if / when this functionality will be coming to the SX3008F?  This is a much deisred feature and would strongly encourage us to purchase more of these switches!

Thanks

-f

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Switch stacking-Solution

Hi @Nlx 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I think you might refer to the latest SG6000 series User Guide which as a fully capable layer 3 switch, it supports such a feature.

This S(G)X3000 series so far does not support it and no plan so far.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options

Thanks for your post, Clive.

However, two points: 1 - I downloaded the newly updated CLI manual and User Guides from https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/tl-sx3008f/ - the support page for the SX3008f, where I also downloaded the latest firmware (v1.20.0) - seems these manuals were updated with the new firmware. It is unfortunate to say the least that TP-Link would have only one CLI / UI manual to cover all business switching products!!

2 - Switch stacking is a L2+ feature - does not require any L3 functionality to implement nor deploy.

Seems to me the industry dividing line between L2+ and L3 is that full L3 products implement dynamic routing protocols (RIP, OSPF).  Somewhat ironically, it is the specific absence of these protocols that make switch stacking (and other redundancy / resiience features like M-LAG) a more desirable, more important feature in an L2+ product!

Very few people know how to fully configure L2+ switches to properly provide resilient connections under all failure modes - even the knowledge base article posted recently to this forum misses a bunch of important configuration. Proper configuration is both complex and requires a lot of effort / commands! Switch stacking and / or M-LAG (and/or other L2+ functionality) would make this process much simpler and easier at no significant loss of performance.

-f

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply

Hi @Nlx 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I think you might refer to the latest SG6000 series User Guide which as a fully capable layer 3 switch, it supports such a feature.

This S(G)X3000 series so far does not support it and no plan so far.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Beta firmware got some NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Recommended Solution
Options

Thanks for your post, Clive.

However, two points: 1 - I downloaded the newly updated CLI manual and User Guides from https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/download/tl-sx3008f/ - the support page for the SX3008f, where I also downloaded the latest firmware (v1.20.0) - seems these manuals were updated with the new firmware. It is unfortunate to say the least that TP-Link would have only one CLI / UI manual to cover all business switching products!!

2 - Switch stacking is a L2+ feature - does not require any L3 functionality to implement nor deploy.

Seems to me the industry dividing line between L2+ and L3 is that full L3 products implement dynamic routing protocols (RIP, OSPF).  Somewhat ironically, it is the specific absence of these protocols that make switch stacking (and other redundancy / resiience features like M-LAG) a more desirable, more important feature in an L2+ product!

Very few people know how to fully configure L2+ switches to properly provide resilient connections under all failure modes - even the knowledge base article posted recently to this forum misses a bunch of important configuration. Proper configuration is both complex and requires a lot of effort / commands! Switch stacking and / or M-LAG (and/or other L2+ functionality) would make this process much simpler and easier at no significant loss of performance.

-f

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 88

Replies: 2

Related Articles