EAP650 and OC200 - cannot ping between multi-band 2.4 and 5

2024-05-03 06:09:54 - last edited 2024-05-05 07:34:16
Model: EAP650  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.13

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, or if this is expected behavior?

I have;

- Single access point (EAP650) controlled by an OC200

- Single SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands

- Multiple clients connected on both channels (some will change due to roaming - eg. laptop moving between rooms)

When my laptop is on 2.4ghz channel, I cannot ping any client on the same SSID who are connected to the 5GHz channel. I get request timeouts.

When I'm on the same channel then it works as expected.

I would have thought, being on the same SSID and subnet, that I should be able to communicate across channels. I am missing something? 

Edit: To clarify, I can ping from the 5GHz connected clients to clients on the 2.4GHz channel, but not from 2.4 to 5, so it might be a setting somewhere 

Options
4 Reply
Re:EAP650 and OC200 - cannot ping between multi-band 2.4 and 5
2024-05-05 10:55:18

oddteacher wrote

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, or if this is expected behavior?

I have;

- Single access point (EAP650) controlled by an OC200

- Single SSID for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands

- Multiple clients connected on both channels (some will change due to roaming - eg. laptop moving between rooms)

When my laptop is on 2.4ghz channel, I cannot ping any client on the same SSID who are connected to the 5GHz channel. I get request timeouts.

When I'm on the same channel then it works as expected.

I would have thought, being on the same SSID and subnet, that I should be able to communicate across channels. I am missing something? 

Edit: To clarify, I can ping from the 5GHz connected clients to clients on the 2.4GHz channel, but not from 2.4 to 5, so it might be a setting somewhere 

Hi @oddteacher 

It looks like that you have enabled the guest network on 2.4GHz SSID. Please try to disable the guest network.

If rather, please share the screenshots of your SSID setting page.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2024-05-05 12:04:37

@Hank21 Hi, I can confirm that the guest network has not been enabled on my primary "Home" SSID. "Home" has been setup via the OC200 to be 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I do have a "Guest" SSID that is setup in guest mode (also 2.4 and 5GHz).

Home and Guest are on separate VLANs. 

The issue is when when my devices are connected to Home and one roams out of 5GHz to 2.4GHz, the ping request will timeout. 

The "Home" SSID was create by default when I setup the OC200 (I factory reset everything and adopted by devices from fresh). I do not why the device type was auto-selected to EAP  and Gateway, instead of just being EAP. Though I do not believe that would cause this specific issue.

The EAP650 doesnt have 6GHz but, again, that was auto-select after adopting.

Options
2024-05-06 03:04:04

I've been away from home for a few days. Back now, everything seems to work as expected.

Options
2024-05-08 10:39:12

oddteacher wrote

I've been away from home for a few days. Back now, everything seems to work as expected.

Hi @oddteacher 

Thanks for sharing. If you encounter the same issue, we may need your help to collect the IP of your devices and the PING results(including PING the EAP/router IP) to see whether there is any association timeout issue.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 277

Replies: 4

Related Articles