NVR Streaming Capacity

NVR Streaming Capacity

NVR Streaming Capacity
NVR Streaming Capacity
3 weeks ago
Model: VIGI NVR1016H  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

I've been going through links here in the forum where it is generally mentioned that the decoding capacity of an NVR is solely related to its ability to push video out through its video interfaces (VGA or HDMI).

When watching through Vigi app or through Web UI I did a packet capture and noticed that the traffic is coming from the NVR itself, not from the cameras. 

Does the NVR re encode video from cameras? Or does it just forward rtsp streams from the cameras? Is there any cpu usage when just forwarding?

Thanks

Options
7 Reply
Re:NVR Streaming Capacity
3 weeks ago

Hi  @scott1981 

Cam > NVR > NVR decodes > push stream(web/app/ONVIF)

Basically, anything connected to the NVR will be processed by the NVR first. Then forward.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
3 weeks ago

@Clive_A 

Thanks for your response. So NVR is "decoding" an RTSP stream from a cam, and re encoding it before pushing it to, say ONVIF? I was under the impression that NVR only decodes to display on HDMI/VGA, can you please confirm?

Thanks

Options
3 weeks ago

Hi @scott1981 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

scott1981 wrote

@Clive_A 

Thanks for your response. So NVR is "decoding" an RTSP stream from a cam, and re encoding it before pushing it to, say ONVIF? I was under the impression that NVR only decodes to display on HDMI/VGA, can you please confirm?

Thanks

That's the HDMI version. Bandwidth is what you are looking for as the term to refer to the decode in HDMI. HDMI version determines the bandwidth it has and finally defines what resolution you get from the HDMI connection.

The decode will decode the digits into a visual image. That's decoding capacity. Eventually, in the specs, it will display like:

• Number of supported cameras
  • Video resolution and frame rate
  • Multi-channel playback effect
  • Remote access performance in Live View. Latency, frame rate, and video res.
Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ (Disclaimer: Short links are used above solely for guidance to TP-Link subdomains and are safe and tracker-free. Exercise caution with short links from non-official members on forums. We are not liable for external content or damage from non-official members' link use.)
Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Clive_A 

Thanks again. In my setup there is no Monitor/Screen attached to the NVR, therefore HDMI is out of the question. What are potential bottlenecks when just "streaming" as in: Web UI or Vigi App? Is it the network bandwidth, or does the CPU take a hit too when "restransmitting camera streams" ?

Thanks,

PS. Why is there a limit on the Web UI to simultaneous channels if there is no active decoding on the NVR (not using HDMI).

Options
3 weeks ago

Hi @scott1981 

scott1981 wrote

@Clive_A 

Thanks again. In my setup there is no Monitor/Screen attached to the NVR, therefore HDMI is out of the question. What are potential bottlenecks when just "streaming" as in: Web UI or Vigi App? Is it the network bandwidth, or does the CPU take a hit too when "restransmitting camera streams" ?

Thanks,

PS. Why is there a limit on the Web UI to simultaneous channels if there is no active decoding on the NVR (not using HDMI).

Both are involved and will have an impact on the eventual performance and result. Either one of them is reached, will have an impact on the performance.

The simul channel limit, do you mean how many views you can have at the same time? 1 2 4 8 16? That one?

Options
3 weeks ago - last edited 3 weeks ago

@Clive_A 

Yes, I mean that when you are in the Web UI and you have 16 views, as you start adding them you hit a "bandwidth limit". When using the Vigi Mobile App, I can see all 16 channels at once. On the other topic I mentioned, my reasoning is the following: If my NVR is headless device (only power and ethernet cord attached to it in a remote location), all it is doing is a) recording and b) forwarding or proxying IP cameras streams, therefore not decoding/encoding anything (decoding is done by the camera, and decoding by the mobile device or laptop).

Options
3 weeks ago

Hi @scott1981 

scott1981 wrote

@Clive_A 

Yes, I mean that when you are in the Web UI and you have 16 views, as you start adding them you hit a "bandwidth limit". When using the Vigi Mobile App, I can see all 16 channels at once. On the other topic I mentioned, my reasoning is the following: If my NVR is headless device (only power and ethernet cord attached to it in a remote location), all it is doing is a) recording and b) forwarding or proxying IP cameras streams, therefore not decoding/encoding anything (decoding is done by the camera, and decoding by the mobile device or laptop).

16 views are not a problem if they are not displaying anything at all which means you only have 16 windows without anything transmitted.

When you put live feed on windows, it requires the live transmission from the IPC to the NVR and NVR decodes and displays the live feed on your screen. From that timestamp you begin to see the live feed, and your NVR starts to work and decode. That'll reach a limit if the NVR is not powerful enough to display all 16 live feeds.

Options