Selective WAN block needed

2024-07-03 04:31:24 - last edited 2024-07-05 08:37:50
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Set up two different WiFi networks for a business: one for POS system, and another for public (guests).  

The business has two different types of Internet connections: the main Internet connection and the backup Internet connection.  The main internet connection is fast enough to serve both the POS system and the public.  However, the backup Internet connection is 50 to 25 times slower, so it is probably ok to serve the POS system, but not sufficient enough to serve both POS system and public. 

When the main Internet connection is available, only the main Internet connection will be used, and the backup Internet connection will not be used.  The backup Internet connection will be used, only when the main Internet connection is not available.

However, when the backup Internet connection is used, I don't want the public network to have access to teh backup Internet connection.

POS system network Public (guests) network
When main Internet connection available access the Internet through the main connection access the Internet through the main connection
When main Internet connection NOT available access the Internet through the backup connection doesn't have access to the backup connection

I went to ACL page hoping that I would find a way to prevent public from accessing the backup Internet connection.  However, it didn't look possible.

Am I missing something or would it require some work to be done by TP-Link?

Thanks

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Selective WAN block needed-Solution
2024-07-04 03:08:32 - last edited 2024-07-05 08:37:52

Hi  @floorsweeper 

Are you using Omada gateway? You can configure Policy Routing and uncheck the option "Use the other WAN port if the current one is down", like below:

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-07-04 07:14:18 - last edited 2024-07-05 08:37:50

@Vincent-TP 

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

I guess another method comparable to that would be using bandwidth control where severely limit guest network's bandwidth for the second WAN, which will have almost same effect as blocking.

Recommended Solution
Options
3 Reply
2024-07-04 03:08:32 - last edited 2024-07-05 08:37:52

Hi  @floorsweeper 

Are you using Omada gateway? You can configure Policy Routing and uncheck the option "Use the other WAN port if the current one is down", like below:

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-07-04 07:14:18 - last edited 2024-07-05 08:37:50

@Vincent-TP 

Thank you very much for the suggestion.

I guess another method comparable to that would be using bandwidth control where severely limit guest network's bandwidth for the second WAN, which will have almost same effect as blocking.

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:Selective WAN block needed
2024-07-05 01:43:25

@floorsweeper 

I agree. laugh

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 205

Replies: 3

Related Articles