WiFi clients constantly dropping connection or being connected but having no internet

WiFi clients constantly dropping connection or being connected but having no internet

2024-07-13 16:18:18 - last edited 2024-07-13 16:26:43
Model: EAP653  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

I have an issue on multiple sites with different configurations and can't get to the bottom of it.

Site 1 has an ER605 connected to a Mikrotik router with a USB modem. The Mikrotik device does the VPN and DNS over that. DNS on the ER605 is set to be the Mikrotik device. Also a single EAP653 connected to the ER605, managed from a software controller on a remote site.

Site 2 has 3x EAP653, an ER605 and an OC200 and is connected to the internet via PPPoE with the ER605 being connected directly to an ONT.

On both sites Android devices constantly disconnect and when they are connected are often painfully slow (speedtest.net results are usually <0.1Mbps). Other WiFi devices seem to be connected without issue.

I did initially have WPA2 AES mode on all SSIDs and things were fine (I think, or at least I didn't notice any issues for a few days). I turned on WPA3 for testing some devices (on both sites) and the WiFi ended up exhibiting various issues so I set everything back to WPA2 mode and the problems persisted. I turned off all the usual things (airtime fairness, band steering etc) and set PMF back to disabled with no difference. I tried tweaking/setting as many things as I could find reference to on other threads and no improvement at all. Eventually set up a new 2.4GHz only SSID on site 1 and connected devices to this and still no improvement. Swithced to 5GHz and it seemed to work sporadically but still not really much of an improvement.

It feels like something that was set when I activated WPA3 caused an issue and some setting somewhere is not being reset on the APs or the APs are not being reprovisioned properly? So currently I have 2 non-working Omada systems. Trying to refrain from just switching back to the Unifi APs they replaced but I will have to if this can't be fixed.

Options
2 Reply
Re:WiFi clients constantly dropping connection or being connected but having no internet
2024-07-15 09:29:05 - last edited 2024-07-15 09:41:06

@L2K Do just Android smartphones have this issue? Could you please tell me the model of your android devices? Please check your location has better Wi-Fi coverage. In addition, you can attempt WLAN Optimization to improve your internet performance. I don't think activating WPA3 caused this problem. Please allow me to view your current SSID settings. You can also try removing the AP from the controller and seeing whether the problem persists when the AP operates independently.Please ensure that all of your Omada devices have the latest firmware.

How to optimize wireless performance of EAP products

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
Re:WiFi clients constantly dropping connection or being connected but having no internet
2024-08-14 08:34:16

@Hank21 

I haven't worked out what is happening here so can't provide any useful info but it seems that Android is the issue in that rebooting the phone with WiFi turned off is the "fix" but it only seems to be an issue when I connect to the Omada AP with WPA3. I have connected to other WPA3 networks and not experienced this issue.

Bit of a weird one.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 231

Replies: 2

Related Articles