Airplay!!!

Airplay!!!

Airplay!!!
Airplay!!!
2024-07-31 16:23:38 - last edited 2024-08-09 01:46:10

Hi,

I recently brought a TP-Link T2600G-28MPS JetStream router to plug into my Unifi UDM Pro via SPF(for PoE purposes). I have two UniFi Acces Points connected to Port 1 & 2 of the switch. I've enabled IGMP and MLD Snooping (I think correctly) to get AirPlay working. All my AirPlay Apple devices are on Acces Point in Port 1(the house), my iPhone, MacBook etc works fine connecting to it. As soon as I roam to the Acces Point 2 in Port 2(the garden), I cannot AirPlay. I've tinkered all day, but never works. 

Anyone had this problem before?

It was working fine when I had PoE adpators and the Acces Points connected directly to the UniFi UDM Pro.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Airplay!!!-Solution
2024-08-07 01:41:05 - last edited 2024-08-09 01:46:13

Hi @Tristy86 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Tristy86 wrote

Hi. Both. Thanks for replies

I've tried all settings with multicast filtering on and off, igmp snooping off and on and same thing.

so what I tried was connect the APs directly into the UDM Pro. And omg AirPlay works across APs/Roaming.

So it is! the TP-Link JetStream managed switch causing the issues! Trouble is the tp link admin interface is confusing to me as I'm used to Unifi simplicity!

any ideas what to do on the tplink?

the only time it works, if I stay in the non working AP for like 5-10min and then AirPlay will work. Its very odd.

There would be no sense in blaming the switch. Like I said, it should not interfere with the switch essence. It is L2-based.

I recommend Wireshark. I cannot point out what might be wrong in your network but I can at least guide you on how to troubleshoot the switch. So, you can rule out the switch.

Wireshark and based on this guide, you share the screenshot of the filtered packets. Will the Airpay show up on your wired computer which is listening to the mDNS.

mDNS Repeater on the Router Doesn't Take Effect

Based on what you wrote, so the switch is to blame.

Use a computer and use Spotify and scan local network stereo or if your computer supports Airplay and wire it to the switch. They gotta be wired to the switch directly not passing any other network devices.

Will you receive mDNS from the switch when you use a computer(wired to the switch as well) to Wireshark them?

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-07 16:22:15 - last edited 2024-08-09 01:46:10

@Tristy86 

OMG I've solved it!

I created an ACL for AirPlay port 5353 on UDP and share across both WiFi Access Point Ports on Switch(Port 1 & 2). And it works!! My god the ACLs are a bit confusing, need to make a ACL then a profile or something lol

Amazing!! Seems odd that I needed to create ACLs when it would work sometimes before, and the big word here is 'sometimes' lol.

I only wish you can do a spead of Ports per ACL, putting dashes between say 5350-5353 doesnt work, says invalid, there are a few ports apple use, which means I will have to create a ACL for each port! 5353 is the usual AirPlay port, luckily that worked. May need to add more ACLs for other ports, which will take me a a hour at least if I cant put in a port range, any ideas?

And I see ACL policy binding, you cant select more than 1 port to bind, so again multiple bindings needed if more Access Points added. Has the newer TP-Link interface got better since the Jet Stream days? As mine seems pretty counter intuitive.

Recommended Solution
Options
7 Reply
Re:Airplay!!!
2024-08-01 01:33:19 - last edited 2024-08-01 01:33:50

Hi @Tristy86 

There is no report about the switch interfering with the mDNS.

The switch is not supposed to be configured with the mDNS function or any sort of snooping you mentioned. They don't intervene.

The switch is only switching and forwarding. Unless you have configured any sort of 802.1Q VLAN/ACL that could stop the inter-VLAN communication.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-08-01 12:43:01

@Tristy86 

Make sure your UDM Pro and the Network Controller are completely updated. to the newest firmware.

Like Clive said, enable mDNS.  If it's multicasting, you will need to enable multicast filtering on the APs and white list the devices that will use it.  

I can not teach anyone anything - I can only make them think - Socrates
Options
2024-08-06 14:09:43 - last edited 2024-08-06 14:11:01

I've tried all settings with multicast filtering on and off, igmp snooping off and on and same thing.

so what I tried was connect the APs directly into the UDM Pro. And omg AirPlay works across APs/Roaming.

So it is! the TP-Link JetStream managed switch causing the issues! Trouble is the tp link admin interface is confusing to me as I'm used to Unifi simplicity!

the only time it works, if I stay in the non working AP for like 5-10min and then AirPlay will work. Its very odd.

Options
2024-08-07 01:41:05 - last edited 2024-08-09 01:46:13

Hi @Tristy86 

Tristy86 wrote

There would be no sense in blaming the switch. Like I said, it should not interfere with the switch essence. It is L2-based.

I recommend Wireshark. I cannot point out what might be wrong in your network but I can at least guide you on how to troubleshoot the switch. So, you can rule out the switch.

Wireshark and based on this guide, you share the screenshot of the filtered packets. Will the Airpay show up on your wired computer which is listening to the mDNS.

Based on what you wrote, so the switch is to blame.

Use a computer and use Spotify and scan local network stereo or if your computer supports Airplay and wire it to the switch. They gotta be wired to the switch directly not passing any other network devices.

Will you receive mDNS from the switch when you use a computer(wired to the switch as well) to Wireshark them?

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-07 12:19:05

@Clive_A 

thanks for your help :)

Just tried your suggestion. No mDNs packets coming thru on other ports on switch. Did a factory reset aswell just incase and still nothing.

Seen posts online that some older tp link kit doesn't support mDNS properly, so I've decided to plug everything back into my UDM Pro with PoE adapter's for now and sell the tp link and get a UniFi switch. It should be this hard. I think I'll stick to UniFi.

Options
2024-08-07 16:22:15 - last edited 2024-08-09 01:46:10

@Tristy86 

OMG I've solved it!

I created an ACL for AirPlay port 5353 on UDP and share across both WiFi Access Point Ports on Switch(Port 1 & 2). And it works!! My god the ACLs are a bit confusing, need to make a ACL then a profile or something lol

Amazing!! Seems odd that I needed to create ACLs when it would work sometimes before, and the big word here is 'sometimes' lol.

I only wish you can do a spead of Ports per ACL, putting dashes between say 5350-5353 doesnt work, says invalid, there are a few ports apple use, which means I will have to create a ACL for each port! 5353 is the usual AirPlay port, luckily that worked. May need to add more ACLs for other ports, which will take me a a hour at least if I cant put in a port range, any ideas?

And I see ACL policy binding, you cant select more than 1 port to bind, so again multiple bindings needed if more Access Points added. Has the newer TP-Link interface got better since the Jet Stream days? As mine seems pretty counter intuitive.

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-09 01:46:07

Hi @Tristy86 

Tristy86 wrote

@Tristy86 

OMG I've solved it!

Good to know.

Not sure what interface you have. We have old and new GUI. Omada is now all using a new GUI. It can bind an ACL to multiple ports.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 274

Replies: 7

Related Articles