How to use software controller with single access point at home

2024-08-01 10:45:37 - last edited 2024-08-02 07:42:12

I have an EAP670 at home.  I have been using the normal web interface for configuration. 

I will be buying multiple EAP access points and a hardware controller for work, so I decided to get my feet wet by installing the software controller at home for my single AP.  Prior to installing the controller, the AP was fully configured and in use for several weeks.

I was able to adopt the AP in the controller software fine.  It shows.  But it shows zero clients connected.  The clients are actually connected, as I've tested their wifi connectivity, just not showing in the controller software.  The existing SSIDs are not showing in the controller software either, even though they are broadcasting.

How do I get the clients to appear in the controller software?  Can someone push me in the right direction? 

Do I have to manually create the already existing SSIDs in the controller software?

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:How to use software controller with single access point at home-Solution
2024-08-01 17:34:19 - last edited 2024-08-02 07:42:12

@himemsys 

Yepp, but you can setup SSID on controller before adopt, then this configuration will be added to ap when you adopt. if you only have one access point, you lose the connection when you adopt, but as soon as the adoption is finished, you can log in to the new ssid, if you use the same ssid and password, you may not notice much at all. but you have to play around and test a bit and you'll probably find out :-)

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-02 09:56:00 - last edited 2024-08-08 08:37:50

@himemsys 

Consider attempting to re-establish their connection to the wireless access point. Re-joining the wireless network after forgetting it.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:How to use software controller with single access point at home
2024-08-01 13:32:07

@himemsys When installing the controller, set the WiFi network configuration and such settings should be loaded into the AP. If something is wrong as you set it in the controller, try to forget the AP or restore it to factory settings. Configure the wifi network you want in the controller and then re-adopt the AP.

Options
2024-08-01 14:44:55

@himemsys 

it doesn't sound like you have adopted the access point correctly, you have to create a new ssid on the controller, when you adopt all the old settings will be deleted, try to reset the ap to default with the reset button, you should not log in to the ap after the reset . then it appears in the controller and you can adopt.

Options
2024-08-01 17:11:09

@MR.S 

Ah.  So the proper procedure is to adopt the AP *before* you configure it, then set up SSIDs afterward?  I figured if it was configured via the standard UI, it would pull in all those settings when it was adopted into the controller.

I will have to wait to forget and re-adopt because this is our sole wireless device in our home.  I need to do it when it won't affect the connectivity of other family members.  For now, it is working, just with no clients showing in the controller.

Options
2024-08-01 17:34:19 - last edited 2024-08-02 07:42:12

@himemsys 

Yepp, but you can setup SSID on controller before adopt, then this configuration will be added to ap when you adopt. if you only have one access point, you lose the connection when you adopt, but as soon as the adoption is finished, you can log in to the new ssid, if you use the same ssid and password, you may not notice much at all. but you have to play around and test a bit and you'll probably find out :-)

Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-02 09:00:40

@MR.S 

It worked exactly as you said:

1. I created the SSIDs in the controller

2. I forgot the AP in the controller

3. I adopted the controller

Almost no loss in connectivity and the clients slowly started to populate.

So far I am having several missing clients though.  One of them is a Samsung TV with a manually set static IP.  It is obviously connected to the AP, but is not appearing in the Client list in the controller.

There is another TV that is using DHCP that is also missing from the client list.  Is there a process for manually putting clients in?  I tried typing the device IPs in the search bar but I don't think that actually tries to ping devices.

Options
2024-08-02 09:15:06

@himemsys 

no there is no way to add clients manually, but maybe @Hank21 can help you with that? I don't know why you don't see all the clients

Options
2024-08-02 09:56:00 - last edited 2024-08-08 08:37:50

@himemsys 

Consider attempting to re-establish their connection to the wireless access point. Re-joining the wireless network after forgetting it.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
2024-08-02 10:55:42

@Hank21 

Thank you, Hank.  That did the trick.  I have several other devices I may have to do this to, which I'll slowly get to.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 284

Replies: 8

Related Articles