Slow Internet Speed Through Switch (SG3452P)

2024-08-01 17:49:34
Model: TL-SG3452P  
Hardware Version: V3
Firmware Version: 3.30.1

Hello everyone,

The problem I am have is slow internet speed through a new (SG3452P) switch. The setup I have is xfinity internet to a Netgear Nighthawk Modem (Model#CM2050V) to a Qnap Router (Model# QHora-322) to A New TP Link Qmada (SG3452P) Switch. I Get about 1,252Mbps Downlad speed & about 33.82Mbps Upload Speed from xfinity. If I plug my laptop into the Qnap Router I get the same speeds. But when I plug in to the TP Link Qmada (SG3452P) Switch the speed drops down to 522.97Mbps Downlad speed & about 42.05Mbps Upload Speed. I tried difference patch cable (CAT-5 & Cat-6). But I allways get the same results. When I Log into the router the port says the speed going out is 1G and when I Log into the switch it say the port is getting 1G. Any ideas would help.  Thanks 

Options
9 Reply
Re:Slow Internet Speed Through Switch (SG3452P)
2024-08-02 01:34:38

Hi @WhoMe08721 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

I still recommend you try different cables. Do you make these cables? Get a commercial cable rated as CAT5E or above which supports a gig speed.

If you believe this has to be a hardware failure, you can run iperf to verify the switch function to see if it is intact.

How to use Iperf to test the speed of TP-Link switches

Make sure both cables are good enough for 1 gig speed.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-08-02 16:08:52

@Clive_A I have try about 40 different cables. We buy premade cable that support over a gig speed. 

Options
2024-08-02 16:09:40
Options
2024-08-02 16:14:18

@WhoMe08721 I think it a software issue. Not a hardware issue. Casue I tried different switches and it works with them. I was thinking it was the power over ethernet but when I disabled it. It did not help. Now i dont know what to real change in the switch. Also not I even tried Factory resetting everything. But still no luck. 

Options
2024-08-02 16:17:29

(Speed With Out The Switch)

(Speed With The Switch)

Options
2024-08-05 02:05:10

Hi @WhoMe08721 

WhoMe08721 wrote

(Speed With Out The Switch)

(Speed With The Switch)

Do you have any QoS or any speed-related settings on the router?

I see that you have another switch that is throttled as well.

The server is not the same. I am not sure the reason why but it could be a DNS problem. It resolved to a different server.

Like I said, I require an iperf test instead of a speed test like this. It does not reflect anything about the hardware or the switch performance but your actual Internet speed. Iperf at least tells if the switch can perform on all its ports at 1 gig or not.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
2024-08-05 16:17:45
Options
2024-08-05 16:20:00

The router & switch are factory reset and I did not change any thing in either device.

Options
2024-08-06 01:11:25

Hi @WhoMe08721 

WhoMe08721 wrote

If you follow the guide of the iperf and do this test on the switch with two PCs, then the switch functions okay.

There is no problem with the switching chipset which concludes that the switch is not the cause of your slow Internet connection.

Like what I suggested previously, it could be a problem with the DNS. You did not mention any of this.

If you have reset the router and the switch, then this rules out the settings on the router/switch and hardware issue now. It should be your computer or the other settings like DNS stuff. Or the diagram or hardware connection.

You can RMA the switch and see if there is any difference but it is confirmed that the hardware of the switch is good. 1Gbps is available on the switch.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 291

Replies: 9

Related Articles