SFP+ Modules, TP-Link SM5310-T ver 2.0 and SM5310-T ver 1.2

2024-08-15 01:00:03 - last edited 2024-08-15 03:49:34
Model: TL-SM5310-T  
Hardware Version:
Firmware Version:

Hi there, i brought TP-Link Switch SX6632YF with SFP+ Modules, TP-Link SM5310-T ver 2.0  and SM5310-T ver 1.2

What i realise is that when connecting 10G to 10G port using V2.0, no issue.

But if i try to connect 1G port from laptop or other 1G port devices to 10G port of SM5310-T ver 2.0, it does not work or not backward compatible.
When i try to connect 10G of SM5310-T ver 1.2 to 10G of other devices and 1G of laptop or other 1G ports, it works.

How to resolve this issues. I've 2 switches with 44 SFP+ modules with mix of v2.0 and v1.2

Thanks

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:SFP+ Modules, TP-Link SM5310-T ver 2.0 and SM5310-T ver 1.2-Solution
2024-08-15 03:01:55 - last edited 2024-08-15 03:49:34

Hi @Shaji68 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Update you again, with this information:

In the installation guide, you can find this line:

https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2024/202407/20240705/7106511390_SM5310-T(UN)2.0_IG.pdf

You need to configure the port to 1Gbps to link it up if you are gonna use it at 1Gbps.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
8 Reply
Re:SFP+ Modules, TP-Link SM5310-T ver 2.0 and SM5310-T ver 1.2-Solution
2024-08-15 03:01:55 - last edited 2024-08-15 03:49:34

Hi @Shaji68 

Update you again, with this information:

In the installation guide, you can find this line:

https://static.tp-link.com/upload/manual/2024/202407/20240705/7106511390_SM5310-T(UN)2.0_IG.pdf

You need to configure the port to 1Gbps to link it up if you are gonna use it at 1Gbps.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:SFP+ Modules, TP-Link SM5310-T ver 2.0 and SM5310-T ver 1.2
2024-08-15 08:55:54

@Clive_A 

Is there a user guide for SX6632YF switch?

if need to configure the v2.0 from the switch, than i can follow from the guide. Currently, i can't find this option.

From my connection setup and from the switch configuration page, the ports with 10G SFP+ module V2.0 with LAN cable plug in to a laptop shows link is down and no led light displayed.
I tried the same for 10G SFP+ module V1.2 with LAN cable plug in to a laptop shows link is up and led light lighted up.

thanks

Options
2024-08-15 09:08:31

Hi @Shaji68 

Shaji68 wrote

@Clive_A 

if need to configure the v2.0 from the switch, than i can follow from the guide. Currently, i can't find this option.

From my connection setup and from the switch configuration page, the ports with 10G SFP+ module V2.0 with LAN cable plug in to a laptop shows link is down and no led light displayed.
I tried the same for 10G SFP+ module V1.2 with LAN cable plug in to a laptop shows link is up and led light lighted up.

thanks

https://www.tp-link.com/en/support/download/sx6632yf/

You can find it on the link provided.

Options
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

@Clive_A Hi I am facing the EXACT same issue. 

SM5310-T ver 1.2 seems to be auto backwards compatible. 

but SM5310-T ver 2.0 needs to manually set the port to 1G if I am on 1G connection.

We can't be doing these manual settings every time we change the connection. ver 2.0 is supposed to be "newer" but yet has this kind of issue. 

All the replies here are not helpful and does not address the actual question: Why SM5310-T ver 1.2 is backwards compatible on auto settings but NOT SM5310-T ver 2.0 ????????????

Can someone please address this issue and provide a constructive explanation? 

Options
2 weeks ago

@Shaji68 Appreciate your input in this!

This brings up another issue. We used this transceiver mainly for uplink. Connection is directly from the ISP router. If we signed up for 2.5G internet speed, we cannot be setting the port to 1G. Our only other option is to manually set this port to 10G. The question is, will setting the port to 10G works with our 2.5G  router as an uplink connection? 

This is deeply disappointing having selected and purchased such an expensive switch (SX6632YF) for our client's server setup. 

We have also purchased a bunch of SM5310-T ver 2.0 together for the same setup and now we will need to give them an explanation to address this issue and for recommending TP-Link...

Options
2 weeks ago

Hi @Shaji68 

Shaji68 wrote

@Clive_A 

thanks

I deleted your last reply due to the violation of email confidentiality. If you have any objection to this, please refer to the ticket email confidentiality.

Options
2 weeks ago

Hi @Innovern 

Innovern wrote

@Clive_A Hi I am facing the EXACT same issue. 

SM5310-T ver 1.2 seems to be auto backwards compatible. 

but SM5310-T ver 2.0 needs to manually set the port to 1G if I am on 1G connection.

We can't be doing these manual settings every time we change the connection. ver 2.0 is supposed to be "newer" but yet has this kind of issue. 

All the replies here are not helpful and does not address the actual question: Why SM5310-T ver 1.2 is backpack compatible on auto settings but NOT SM5310-T ver 2.0 ????????????

Can someone please address this issue and provide a constructive explanation? 

V2 is not possible to have firmware updates or any other sort of software fix. This is a module instead of a software-based product as it does not contain any system.

This is due to the limitation of the product and as stated in the Installation Guide that you are required to manually change the port.

The V2 features a different design, and the design can vary between hardware generations. As a result, we may not always be able to source the same design or motherboard from the same vendor. This could lead to switching to a different board design and updating its version. This typically applies to non-software-based components, such as unmanaged switches, modules, and PoE adapters.
A similar explanation is provided in the hardware version knowledge base on other pages.

If you are procuring from a local TP-Link company with the salesperson, please notify the salesperson about this issue and specify that you need V1.0 or V1.2 and negotiate a proper solution for the return.

Options
2 weeks ago

@Clive_A Hi Clive thanks for you reply. 

Looks like we have no choice then. Now we need to address these issues: 

1. Local vendor does not carry SM5310-T ver 1 anymore as it is an old model. Will there be any ver 3 coming up to rectify this issue? 

2. If we use SM5310-T ver 2, the switch (SX6632YF ) port have to be manually configured with Profile override. However, the link speed have only 2 options, 1G and 10G. If we select 10G, will our 2.5G and 5G devices work?

If it does not work, it is as good as we can no longer use these hardwares for setup....... 

Options