WiFi not working for 10-20 seconds after the phone has been asleep

2024-08-15 11:17:27
Model: EAP670  
Hardware Version: V2
Firmware Version:

Hi,

Recently switched from a TP-Link Deco system to a full Omada system for my office.

I have:

- ER707-M2 v1.0

- OC-300

- Several EAP670 v2

While in my main office, with my phone a few meters from the EAP670 v2 with an excellent signal (-44dB, 1080Mbps), sometimes when unlocking my phone, WiFi doesn't work for 10-20 seconds, despite being still connected with an excellent signal (and the icon showing connection and excellent signal)

After 10-20 seconds it works fine.

Also, while the phone is asleep, sometimes I have notifications very late (basically when I unlock the phone and I wait for these 10-20 seconds)

Was working fine with the previous Deco XE75 system, so I don't think the phone is the culprit.

Can you please advise?

Options
16 Reply
Re:WiFi not working for 10-20 seconds after the phone has been asleep
2024-08-16 06:58:58

Hi  @StephaneDupont 

Is this issue mainly happening on iOS devices?

iOS devices have a feature called "Wi-Fi Assist" that automatically switches to cellular data when the Wi-Fi connection is poor. Even though your device shows a strong signal, the actual internet connectivity might be weak or unstable, causing the device to switch to cellular data. This could explain the delay you're experiencing when unlocking your phone.

You can disable Wi-Fi Assist: Go to Settings > Cellular > Wi-Fi Assist and turn it off. This will force your device to stick with Wi-Fi even when the connection is poor.

If that doesn't help, you may also change the WPA mode of the EAP SSID to WPA2/WPA to give it a try.

Options
2024-08-16 07:39:41

@Vincent-TP It's not, it's an Android device. OnePlus 10T, Android 14.

Options
2024-08-16 07:45:58 - last edited 2024-08-16 07:47:36

@Vincent-TP Also, I checked Android parameters, and in WiFi Assistant, everything is disabled (connect automatically to the best WiFi, double channel acceleration, double WiFi acceleration).

I have tried to change EAP WPA mode from "WPA2-PSK / AES" to "WPA/WPA2-PSK / AES", is that what you mentioned? Shall I reboot EAPs after this modification?

Options
2024-08-16 08:33:09

Hi  @StephaneDupont 

No need to reboot EAP after the modification.

Is this OnePlus 10T, Android 14 the only client having this issue? If not, please also let me know the information of the other clients.

Options
2024-08-16 15:21:34 - last edited 2024-08-18 21:03:40

@Vincent-TP I have to test it a bit more, but it appears it could have solve it.

Do you have an explanation on why though? Why enabling WPA/WPA2 instead of WPA2 would solve phone dropping connection while asleep?

Also, why WPA/WPA2 and not WPA only? ... and lastly, what's the difference between selecting AES and AUTO?

UPDATE: problem still happens, just less frequently.

Options
2024-08-19 02:17:09

Hi  @StephaneDupont 

>>WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) and WPA2 are both security protocols used to protect Wi-Fi networks. They encrypt information that is sent over the network, preventing unauthorized access and data theft.

Here are the differences:

1. WPA: This was the interim security protocol that was developed when it was found that WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) was easy to crack. It uses Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP) for encryption, which is more secure than WEP but still has some vulnerabilities.

2. WPA2: This is an advancement over WPA and is currently the most secure and commonly used protocol for securing Wi-Fi networks. It uses Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) for encryption, which is more secure than TKIP and is mandatory for certain government and corporate uses.

When you see the option for "WPA/WPA2", it means that the device or network can use either protocol depending on the capabilities of the devices connecting to it. This is often used for compatibility reasons, as some older devices may not support WPA2.

>>The issue of a phone dropping connection while asleep might not necessarily be a direct result of the security protocol (WPA/WPA2 vs WPA2) that's being used. However, changing the security settings can sometimes help due to compatibility issues.

Some older devices or certain phone models may have issues maintaining a stable connection with a WPA2-only network, especially when in sleep mode. This could be due to the device's power-saving features, software glitches, or outdated network drivers that have compatibility issues with WPA2.

Switching to a mixed mode (WPA/WPA2) allows such devices to connect using the older, but still secure, WPA protocol. This can sometimes improve the stability of the connection.

However, it's worth noting that this is more of a workaround than a solution. The best solution would be to update the device's software or network drivers, if possible, to ensure full compatibility with WPA2, which provides better security.

>>>

1. AES: This is the most secure encryption type. It's used by the WPA2 (and WPA3) security protocol and is currently the industry standard. It's secure and fast. If all your devices support AES (which most modern devices do), this is the best option to choose.

2. Auto: This setting allows the router to automatically select the encryption type based on the device that's trying to connect. If a device supports AES, it will use that. If not, it may fall back to the less secure TKIP (if it's an option). This setting is typically used for compatibility reasons to allow older devices that don't support AES to connect to the network.

In general, it's recommended to use AES if all your devices support it, as it provides the best security. Auto can be used if you have older devices that don't support AES, but be aware that it could potentially allow less secure connections.

Options
2024-08-19 07:26:09

@Vincent-TP OK, thank you.

Unfortunately, this is a quite recent and flagship phone (OnePlus 10T), and unfortunately the problem still happens, just less frequently. So it's not fixed.

Also, I upgraded from a consumer-grade TP-Link Deco, and I didn't have this problem with the Deco XE75 system. So how would you explain that it works with Deco and not with the Omada setup?

Options
2024-08-19 09:17:41 - last edited 2024-08-19 10:01:28

Hi, is the OnePlus 10T the ONLY device which is having this issue? What's the frequency now?

One more thing, is the phone connecting to the 2.4G or 5G?

Options
2024-08-19 13:52:41

@Vincent-TP The phone connects in 5Ghz, the SSID has both 2.4 and 5GHz.

The frequency at which it happens is hard to test as I don't unlock my phone all the time.

Now, about if I have other devices being the same, I don't know as it's the only phone I unlock many times a day, but I discovered another problem that maybe is the same thing.

So let's go for explaining this other problem:

I have a dozen of WLED controllers installed on ESP8266 boards + 5 presence detectors (commercial ones, Athom ESPHome Human Presence Sensor) that are also based on ESP8266.

If I boot one of these devices, it gets its IP via DHCP (via a reseveration), and I can access it from, for example, my computer by entering the IP address into a browser. And if I ping it, it responds to ping, no problem.

Now, if my computer (that is connected via Ethernet to the network) goes to sleep, when I wake it, that device is no longer accessible. If I try to ping it, it starts with "Request timed out", but after a few of these, it says: "destination host unreachable".

I have a NAS that also goes to sleep when there is no activity, and if I SSH to it and do a ping of that same IOT device, same thing: "destination host unreachable".

... but the device is still active! If I go to my Home Assistant server, which NEVER goes to sleep, he can still communicate with the device, no problem, and if I make a ping from this Home Assistant server, the device is answering the ping without any issue. So the device is still connected to the WiFi, still active, but any device that went to sleep, when it wakes up from sleep, it can't access it. And time doesn't change anything: if I wait even several hours, nothing changes, the device is still inaccessible. The device will only be accessible to that computer if I restart the device (the IOT device, not the computer).

Let me state this again: all this was working perfectly fine with the old Deco XE75. Omada was supposed to be an upgrade, but it's nothing but problems currently. All these ESP8266 devices had no problems being accessible, even after one month of being online.

Options
2024-08-19 14:39:33

@StephaneDupont 

have you tried turning off Unscheduled Automatic Power Save Delivery. is this the symbol of your clients having problems?

Options