Omada SDN: Clients roam every 10-20 seconds to different AP and back / association time outs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

Omada SDN: Clients roam every 10-20 seconds to different AP and back / association time outs

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2022-05-26 19:01:30

I have a weird problem on an Omada SDN network for a client. It's a B&B with multiple rooms and stories. This is the system:

• Omada ER605 Router

• Omada TL-SG2210P Switch

• 4x EAP620 HD

• OC200 Cloud Controller

I have attached a network topologie which i created on the network:

My problem:

I see in the logging that some client keep on roaming to different access points every 10-30 seconds. The log if fully flooded with these events. A client-device mostly toggles between two access points. Probably that is the reason that they complain that sometimes the WiFi network is not working. I have attached a snapshot from the logfiles in the Cloud Controller:

The complaint is that when they enter the house, the WiFi is connected but there is no internet access.

Anyone know how to resolve this?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Omada SDN: Clients roam every 10-20 seconds to different AP and back / association time outs
2022-05-27 04:39:27
I suspect the issue is with how or where AP_Hal is connected.  If you temporarily disconnect this AP from the system does the rest of it perform as expected? Is there any way you can connect this AP to one of the switch ports rather than a LAN port on the ER605?  I am wondering if the system is confused when clients roam to or from this AP, which port to send the traffic out, then moving the AP_Hal onto a switch port should fix this. Also, of all the channels to use, why only 2 and 9?  Are you in very congested WiFi neighbourhood?  Are those Auto settings, or did you manually configure them like this, because a similar pattern repeats with the 5G channels.
<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options
Re:Omada SDN: Clients roam every 10-20 seconds to different AP and back / association time outs
2022-05-27 07:25:47 - last edited 2022-05-27 07:29:26

@d0ugmac1 

That could be a possible lead... Unfortunately, there is no way to connect this AP to the switch. There is only one cable from the router to the switch switch is on the complete other side of the B&B where this network is running. This AP is located very close to the modem and router.

But i also have the same with other clients doing the same on other APs. Do you still think the connection of the AP directly to the router could cause this?

Below is just a small capture from the full logfile. It is fully flooded with below events and i even get warnings that my storage is full. 

Options
2022-05-27 09:29:48

It seems likely that the wireless environment is the problem.

How far apart are your four EAPs?

If you are only using 5G, try changing the channel or channel width to optimize the channel and see if still have the problem?

If you can use your phone app such as WiFi analyzer to do some test scanning to check the network environment, it is the best.

Of course, it would be great if you could share the results of your mobile channel scan.

Just striving to develop myself while helping others.
Options
2022-05-27 15:11:24

Did you assign a VLAN to the SSID running on AP_Hal?  If so try removing it for testing ie use VLAN 1 untagged.

How does the firmware version on the B&B AP compare with some of your other sites?  Perhaps a downgrade will help?

Is it possible you have a poor or intermittent connection on one of the data pins?  This would cause data to fail but ap would stay powered.

<< Paying it forward, one juicy problem at a time... >>
Options