EAP215 Omada setup....

EAP215 Omada setup....

EAP215 Omada setup....
EAP215 Omada setup....
2024-08-15 22:03:50 - last edited 2024-08-19 02:02:44
Model: EAP215-Bridge KIT  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.4 Build 20240312 Rel. 33492

I am setting up a remote site using the EAP215 Bridge Kit.  The Omada controller is setup with two sites, and one bridge is on each side and seems to be working OK. 

- It appears that both bridges have to be associated with one site or the other. I can set them up to be in different sites, but then they will not link. Is it best to have them both on the main site (where the controller and the Internet connection is), or better to have them configured to the remote site, or does it matter?

- The Omada site is showing a small amount of interferance in the signal between the bridges. What is an acceptable amount of interferance? I am working on moving WiFi signals to different channels to help alliviate some of the interferance, but I don't want to spend too much time working on the interferance if not needed.

- Beyond moving WiFi channels, keeping obstructions from between the bridges, making sure they are aimed well, is there anything else to do that can improve performance between the bridges? My remote site is about .1 miles away. Can you adjust packet sizes, or do anything else tune the communication between bridges?

- Is there a good reason to have two sites setup in Omada, or should I just set it up as one site? Niether site is very complicated from a topology standpoint.

Thank you!

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:EAP215 Omada setup....-Solution
2024-08-16 08:13:53 - last edited 2024-08-19 02:02:44

Hi  @robcool 

Is it best to have them both on the main site (where the controller and the Internet connection is), or better to have them configured to the remote site, or does it matter?

>>>It doesn't matter. But if there is no special configuration needed, I will recommend putting them into the same site, it's more convenient for management. For example, you don't need to change the configurations under Site settings twice.

What is an acceptable amount of interference? 

>>>

An acceptable amount of wireless interference really depends on your specific network needs. However, when measuring Wi-Fi interference, a signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) of 20 dB or more is generally considered good and should provide reliable network performance.

The SNR is the difference between the received signal and the background noise level. A higher SNR means a better-quality signal.

For example, if your received signal strength (RSSI) is -50 dBm, and your noise level is -90 dBm, your SNR would be 40 dB, which is excellent.

On the other hand, if your RSSI is -70 dBm (a weaker signal), and your noise level is -80 dBm, your SNR would be only 10 dB, which might result in poor performance and connectivity issues.

Please note that these are general guidelines and actual acceptable levels can vary depending on the specific requirements of your network and the devices using it.

The best way to avoid wireless interference for outdoor units is to install them higher to avoid ground obstacles. We have an installation guide for outdoor access points:

Long distance wireless connection concerns when using outdoor access point

Recommended Solution
Options
2 Reply
Re:EAP215 Omada setup....-Solution
2024-08-16 08:13:53 - last edited 2024-08-19 02:02:44

Hi  @robcool 

Is it best to have them both on the main site (where the controller and the Internet connection is), or better to have them configured to the remote site, or does it matter?

>>>It doesn't matter. But if there is no special configuration needed, I will recommend putting them into the same site, it's more convenient for management. For example, you don't need to change the configurations under Site settings twice.

What is an acceptable amount of interference? 

>>>

An acceptable amount of wireless interference really depends on your specific network needs. However, when measuring Wi-Fi interference, a signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) of 20 dB or more is generally considered good and should provide reliable network performance.

The SNR is the difference between the received signal and the background noise level. A higher SNR means a better-quality signal.

For example, if your received signal strength (RSSI) is -50 dBm, and your noise level is -90 dBm, your SNR would be 40 dB, which is excellent.

On the other hand, if your RSSI is -70 dBm (a weaker signal), and your noise level is -80 dBm, your SNR would be only 10 dB, which might result in poor performance and connectivity issues.

Please note that these are general guidelines and actual acceptable levels can vary depending on the specific requirements of your network and the devices using it.

The best way to avoid wireless interference for outdoor units is to install them higher to avoid ground obstacles. We have an installation guide for outdoor access points:

Long distance wireless connection concerns when using outdoor access point

Recommended Solution
Options
Re:EAP215 Omada setup....
2024-08-18 19:04:51

@Vincent-TP thank you, that is very helpful!

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 148

Replies: 2

Related Articles