Switch to Switch Connection Trouble

3 weeks ago - last edited Yesterday
Model: SG2210XMP-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.0.2

Have been in the process of upgrading a client from 1gb equipment to 2.5gb equipment after they upgraded there Comcast connection.

We have 4 SG2210XMP-M2 and have run into isses when a switch will not to to another switch when connected directly via fiber. We were able to get 3 connected but have had lots of trouble with the 4.

Modem --> Router --> Mainswitch (Mid Building)

-Mainswitch (port 9 fiber) to South Switch (Port 9)

-South Switch (Port 10) to West Switch (Port 10)

-Mainswitch (Port 10 fiber) to North Switch (Port 9 or 10) -Not working

-Mainswitch (Port 10 fiber) to Media Converter  to  North Switch (Port 3 (Cat6) -works

If I swap 9 and 10 on the main switch. Then the direct fiber connection to the north switch will work. But then the direct to the south won't work.

But we know port 10 works with the media converter. So it looks like for some reason port 10 will not talk directly to another SG2210XMP-M2.

When we had similar issues with the first 3 we thought it was bad SFP adapters. But was not able to confirm that. Then after trying a bunch of stuff, it randmly started working.

We did find the Port block notes in the log after that.

We have spent a bunch of time online with tech support and they have elevated to higher tech.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Switch to Switch Connection Trouble-Solution
Monday - last edited Yesterday

@WigTech 

The final answer ended up being make sure all the SFP adapters are TP Link and the same model, then also turning off auto fail over for the APs.  I think it got turned on by accident when setting up fail over internet.

Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:Switch to Switch Connection Trouble
3 weeks ago

Hi @WigTech 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

Please use the forum search to look it up. Or in the User Guide, it has explained what "block" means in the log.

This should be a software block in which you have created a loop in your network. I believe this should be something the tech rep has told you. Did you look into it?

Rule this out first before you think that the switch is not behaving normally. And another easy way to test it, you bring the 4 switches into the same server room and cascade them. Will they work or not? Simple enough to test if this is a switch failure or the connection(scheme) problem.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
3 weeks ago

@Clive_A 

Thanks!

This is more than we have got then from the chat techs.

We got an it will clear when the loop is gone, and you can clear the log. But no process to clear the loop or clear the block.

I thought it has been settings, software, or maybe the non - tp link SFP adapters. The techs were leaning toward hardware problem on the main switch.
But that did not make sense because we had similar problems but lesser with some of the other switches.

After looking at your recommendation, I found that Auto fail over was on for wireless. So I am guessing that caused the EAP to EAP wifi connection and then the loop back and port block.

Options
3 weeks ago

Hi @WigTech 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

WigTech wrote

@Clive_A 

Thanks!

This is more than we have got then from the chat techs.

We got an it will clear when the loop is gone, and you can clear the log. But no process to clear the loop or clear the block.

I thought it has been settings, software, or maybe the non - tp link SFP adapters. The techs were leaning toward hardware problem on the main switch.
But that did not make sense because we had similar problems but lesser with some of the other switches.

After looking at your recommendation, I found that Auto fail over was on for wireless. So I am guessing that caused the EAP to EAP wifi connection and then the loop back and port block.

It is normal to cline to the hardware issue when you notice something happens to only one while the other 3 are working fine.

But when you mentioned the log, I think it could be the loop. Cascade them would be the easiest way to figure out if this is a hardware issue or not.

EAP was indeed one of the things that could cause a loop. I have seen this case before. You can try to clear it up and test again. Loop prevention involves automatically disconnecting the looped ports. So, it could be the case.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
Re:Switch to Switch Connection Trouble-Solution
Monday - last edited Yesterday

@WigTech 

The final answer ended up being make sure all the SFP adapters are TP Link and the same model, then also turning off auto fail over for the APs.  I think it got turned on by accident when setting up fail over internet.

Recommended Solution
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 144

Replies: 4

Related Articles