Setting up sfp module

Setting up sfp module

Setting up sfp module
Setting up sfp module
3 weeks ago
Hardware Version: V5
Firmware Version:

Hello, i have connected a 1 gig sfp transceiver in my sfp module that is the port for sfp in sg2210p. This switch receives connection from a wifi 6 tplink router which is connected to starlink as the i.s.p. I have used a lc connector, the fiber optic cable runs around 250m to a fiber optic router which i have connected directly since the router on the other end supports fiber connection. I have also used a lc connector on the fiber router where it runs to, bear in mind its single mode. My problem is that this set up is not working, the sfpmodule is 1.25gig which is compatible with the switch, where might i have made a mistake, could it be that you cannot connect from sfp module to fiber router directly?

Options
4 Reply
Re:Setting up sfp module
3 weeks ago

@Kimathi 

when it comes to SFP, it can be difficult, I messed around with it a lot, but you have to know which fiber you have single mode or multimode, some SFP modules also come in pairs and only work together in pairs. SFP modules also do not work together with all equipment, so if you have different equipment, there may be a problem with the SFPs that must work in pairs if the SFP is not compatible with the devices on one of the sides.

I have a bunch of fiber SFP modules lying around here, and many of them don't work with TP-Link.

but what I have seen is that unifi and TP-Link SFP work interchangeably. but remember many types must be in pairs to work.

Options
3 weeks ago

@Kimathi 

here is some more information about SFP modules.

https://community.tp-link.com/en/business/forum/topic/670892

Options
3 weeks ago

@MR.S Thanks alot for the reply and the tip. Just a follow up, I am not connecting the sfp module to another sfp module, I am connecting the sfp module to a router, the other end is just a fiber router which as a lc connector port. Could that be an issue or i have to connect from sfp to sfp, can i connect from sfp switch to another router with a port like how  I have connected it through a lc connector? 

Options
3 weeks ago

@Kimathi 

to be honest, I have no idea, there are so many options and possibilities when it comes to fiber and SFP modules. you almost have to check the specifications of the router and SFP and see if you can find something that fits. if you have two fiber wires, sometimes this one is connected incorrectly and so you have to change the fiber connections to get a link. it makes it even more difficult. I have often changed the fiber connections to get a link because the fiber installer has not done it correctly.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 185

Replies: 4

Related Articles