Passive GPON SFP module

Passive GPON SFP module
Passive GPON SFP module
2024-08-12 07:44:19 - last edited a week ago
Model: ER7412-M2  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version:

Hi Everyone,

Writing from Germany. Just bought a TP-Link Omada ER7412-M2 router for home use.

I will connect the router via Fibre Optic cable to the service provider.

I understand from Deutsche Telekom that I need to have a passive SFP module.

From my research I would need:

TP-Link Omada compatible SFP GPON LC/APC Simplex module.

Does anyone know where i can find such a SFP module? I dont seem to find it anywhere.

Does TP-Link offer such a product?

Thanks in advance.

Callie.

Options
2 Accepted Solutions
Re:Passive GPON SFP module-Solution
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@Camps 

Nope.... i think you did the same purchase fault i did as well.

The ER7412-M2 seems to be not able to direcly connect the provider fiber to it because the media convertion is missing.

You need an additional media converter in front to convert the passive ONT ( fiber port ) to copper RJ45.

In this media converter is a correct fiberport or SFP modul necessary with matching wavelength RX & TX.

This port is connected with a fiber patch to the ONT.

The second port at the converter is a RJ45 copper port. This will be plug to a configured wan port at ER7412-M2.

The media converter is sometimes called a fiber modem!

There are two Fritzbox in the market with buildin converters in the SFP slot. FB5530& 5590.

If you want to exchange such provider boxes with the ER7412-M2 you have two choices.

1) use a media converter as explained

2) ask the provider to install an active fiber modem at your home. This will have an RJ45 port at the handover to you

I am disappointed about this fact, my goal was the same to direclty feed the ER7412-M2 with a fiberpatch from provider ONT (passive).

EDIT:

in my case all turned to good.

The ER7412-M2 can convert fiber media to ethernet standard at the sfp slots by default! Check my topic for troubleshooting.

What is necessary..... you need a correct SFP for your ISP and matching fiber patch cable.

Check out the ISP docu an order a matching sfp with wavelength RX & TX  for the router. I used a FS Generic SFP.

Recommended Solution
Options

To anyone who's facing the same problem,

Make sure you have set up the port correctly to meet the 1Gbps. Auto mode may not work with certain modules.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Recommended Solution
Options
6 Reply
Re:Passive GPON SFP module
2024-08-13 02:32:06

Hi @Camps 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

For the fiber, if you  need the fiber interface, you might wanna try: https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/omada-accessory-module-cable/?filterby=6407

If you need the RJ45 module, https://www.tp-link.com/en/business-networking/omada-accessory-module-cable/?filterby=6409

We don't have a dedicated GPON SFP module. You might wanna try out the modules on the market.

Best Regards! If you are new to the forum, please read: Howto - A Guide to Use Forum Effectively. Read Before You Post. Look for a model? Search your model NOW Official and Beta firmware. NEW features! Subscribe for the latest update!Download Beta Here☚ ☛ ★ Configuration Guide ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Knowledge Base ★ ☚ ☛ ★ Troubleshooting Manual ★ ☚ ● Be kind and nice. ● Stay on the topic. ● Post details. ● Search first. Don't be a lazy asker. ● Please don't take it for granted. ● No email confidentiality should be violated. ● S/N, MAC, and your true public IP should be mosaiced.
Options
3 weeks ago

@Clive_A 

Hi all, 

what about the xm60a sfp module from tp link? Could this one fit inside the er7206 and make internet access possible from an isp?

Options
3 weeks ago

Hi @nightcrawler 

Thanks for posting in our business forum.

nightcrawler wrote

@Clive_A 

Hi all, 

what about the xm60a sfp module from tp link? Could this one fit inside the er7206 and make internet access possible from an isp?

Try to contact the GPON retailer you can buy. We don't have this information about the ISP-grade product.

Note that this forum does not involve ISP-grade products which is a different team responsible.

Please make sure the product you have is a Small Form-factor Pluggable. That should work.

Options

@Camps 

Nope.... i think you did the same purchase fault i did as well.

The ER7412-M2 seems to be not able to direcly connect the provider fiber to it because the media convertion is missing.

You need an additional media converter in front to convert the passive ONT ( fiber port ) to copper RJ45.

In this media converter is a correct fiberport or SFP modul necessary with matching wavelength RX & TX.

This port is connected with a fiber patch to the ONT.

The second port at the converter is a RJ45 copper port. This will be plug to a configured wan port at ER7412-M2.

The media converter is sometimes called a fiber modem!

There are two Fritzbox in the market with buildin converters in the SFP slot. FB5530& 5590.

If you want to exchange such provider boxes with the ER7412-M2 you have two choices.

1) use a media converter as explained

2) ask the provider to install an active fiber modem at your home. This will have an RJ45 port at the handover to you

I am disappointed about this fact, my goal was the same to direclty feed the ER7412-M2 with a fiberpatch from provider ONT (passive).

EDIT:

in my case all turned to good.

The ER7412-M2 can convert fiber media to ethernet standard at the sfp slots by default! Check my topic for troubleshooting.

What is necessary..... you need a correct SFP for your ISP and matching fiber patch cable.

Check out the ISP docu an order a matching sfp with wavelength RX & TX  for the router. I used a FS Generic SFP.

Recommended Solution
Options

To anyone who's facing the same problem,

Make sure you have set up the port correctly to meet the 1Gbps. Auto mode may not work with certain modules.

Recommended Solution
Options
8 hours ago - last edited 8 hours ago

Hi, I'm trying to do the same thing (I think) and bypass my ISP provided Huawei modem/router and terminate the fibre cable directly into my ER7212PC using an SFP module. Can you provide more detail on how to choose the SFP module, and any specifics I need. I plan to buy TP-Link to ensure compatibility but the ISP is no help with details.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 262

Replies: 6

Related Articles