Band steering not working

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
Model: EAP683 UR  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.1.0 (beta)

Hello,

When my clients are connected to 2.4ghz, it won't go to 5ghz automatically. Only when I manually click on the reconnect button it goes to 5ghz. 

I tried to decrease the signal strength for 2.4 but that doesn't change anything.

My band steering is set to perfer 5/6Ghz and not on balanced or off.

With regards,
BliXem

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:Band steering not working-Solution

@Hank21 I'm running now the latest beta version and bandsteering is better now :)

Recommended Solution
Options
10 Reply
Re:Band steering not working

@BliXem 

How many SSIDs have you got? Do you mean all clients have experienced this issue? What is the device's model?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2 weeks ago

@Hank21 I've got 3 AP's, but my Sonos devices are locked to one AP.

Model: EAP683 UR  

Hardware Version: V1

Firmware Version: 1.1.0 (beta)

With my unifi they switch automaticaly to 5ghz within a few minutes. With the AP of TP-link, nothing hapens, even after a few hours. When I reconnect the Sonos devices then it's 5ghz.

So that's why I think bandsteering isn't working properly.

Options
2 weeks ago

@BliXem 

What is your controller's firmware version?

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options
2 weeks ago

@Hank21 I'm running the latest one (no beta): 5.14.26.1.

Options
Re:Band steering not working-Solution

@Hank21 I'm running now the latest beta version and bandsteering is better now :)

Recommended Solution
Options
2 weeks ago

@Hank21 Correction, seems not to be working. Tested one other product but won't push it to 5ghz.. What to do now?

Options
2 weeks ago

@BliXem 

Please let me know how you set up your SSID. Besides, what are the devices that cannot steer to the 5G automatically? How many clients do you have in total? How many clients are on the 5G when devices cannot steer to it?

Options
2 weeks ago

@Hank21 For now I will set this on-hold. When I rebooted the AP's, every device which is 5ghz capable will move the 5ghz. So that's good. I got one device which will go back to 2.4ghz because the signal on 5ghz is not high. This is normal right that it will go to 2.4ghz after some time when signal is not that high?

Options
2 weeks ago

@BliXem 

Yes, band steering does not always steer all clients to 5G. 5G is preferable. When the signal is not strong, it will use 2.4G either.

Options
21 hours ago

@Hank21 After long testing, band steering is not working. Only when you restart the device as example. It plants it directly on 5ghz.

But when on 2.4ghz it will stay on 2.4ghz without any changes.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 231

Replies: 10

Related Articles