SNMP ifDescr only works without Omada Controller

2 weeks ago - last edited a week ago
Model: TL-SG3428X  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.30.0 Build 20231019 Rel.60485

Current situation:

After Editing a "Port Name" using the Omada Controller Web-UI, the new Value is only shown in the Omada Controller UI. It is currently not updated to the corresponding SNMP OID, such as IF-MIB::ifDescr.49153 (.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.49153). The Value always reads STRING: gigabitEthernet 1/0/1, ignoring the edited "Port Name".

Expectation:

I would expect the SNMP OID Value to change after editing the "Port Name" with the Omada Controller GUI.

Example:

When the switch is not adopted and managed only "stand alone" (without Omada Controllers) this works perfectly as expected: editing the port name using the switch's Web-UI does change the OID value.

Request:

Please change the SNMP value of the corresponding SNMP OID on the device (switch) itself when editing a port name using the Omada Controller UI.

Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:SNMP ifDescr only works without Omada Controller-Solution

@Flexibug 

This feature is already supported in our 5.14.30.7 controller. We have released the Early Access Firmware. You can try downloading it from this link.Omada SDN Controller_V5.14.30.7 Pre-release (Updated on Apr 10th, 2024)

Also, for this feature to work, make sure the switch's firmware is compatible with our V5.14 Controller. So, you can go to our official website and download V1.30.1.Firmware Download

Besides, please use our private MIB files, which can be downloaded from our official website.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
4 Reply
Re:SNMP ifDescr only works without Omada Controller-Solution

@Flexibug 

This feature is already supported in our 5.14.30.7 controller. We have released the Early Access Firmware. You can try downloading it from this link.Omada SDN Controller_V5.14.30.7 Pre-release (Updated on Apr 10th, 2024)

Also, for this feature to work, make sure the switch's firmware is compatible with our V5.14 Controller. So, you can go to our official website and download V1.30.1.Firmware Download

Besides, please use our private MIB files, which can be downloaded from our official website.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:SNMP ifDescr only works without Omada Controller
a week ago - last edited a week ago

@Hank21

I followed all instructions, but I have mixed results.

I do have a (completely) changed reading in our monitoring software "zabbix", which indeed does reflect the changes. This is what I have been looking for.

So far, so great! Have reached goal for SG3428X - but not yet for SG3210X-M2 (how about SG3428X-M2 yet to come to our network?). And, however...

"snmpwalk" against the device does not reveal any changes to the "Name" Value of the Port configuration in the Controller UI. Changes of Port "Name" in Omada Controller 5.14.30.7 still seem to not be pushed to SG3428X v1.30 Firmware 1.30.1 Build 20240807 Rel.61366. Same applies to SG3210X-M2 v1.0 Firmware 1.0.3 Build 20240528 Rel.72451. Which is a bit suprising after following your information.

example: snmpwalk -cpublic -v2c 192.168.37.13 IFDescr

IF-MIB::ifDescr.49162 = STRING: gigabitEthernet 1/0/10

Although I entered a "Name" Value for Port10 in the Controller UI for this switch, this change seems not to be reflected in SNMP IFDescr.

More info:

On a mac I get an error:

Error: OID not increasing: IP-MIB::ipNetToMediaIfIndex.1.192.168.37.48
 >= IP-MIB::ipNetToMediaIfIndex.1.192.168.37.2

similar problem on a linux box (Almalinux) in the same subnet:

Error: OID not increasing: iso.3.6.1.2.1.4.22.1.1.1.192.168.37.48
 >= iso.3.6.1.2.1.4.22.1.1.1.192.168.37.2

What am I missing here (switch-models, MIBs, etc.)?

Options
Friday - last edited Friday

@Flexibug 

The OlD is 1.3.6.1.4.1.11863.6.8.1.1.2.2

SG3428X-M2's firmware is not adapted to our V5.14 controller, so this feature is not supported yet. 

Options
Tuesday
@Hank21 Thanks for that OID, that worked for snmpwalk. Is there any "roadmap" or "estimated timeframe" when this feature will be available for the X-M2 series, i.e., SG3428X-M2 and SG3210X-M2?
Options

Information

Helpful: 1

Views: 138

Replies: 4

Voters 1