Expand home network to two out door buildings

2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago

Currently I have a building approximately 150’ away from my home. I have Cat6 burial wire run and connected to an access point. I get basically the same signal there as I do in the house. I’m now looking at adding a detached garage with an apartment on top. The garage will be approximately 100' from my home but only 50’ from the 1st building. Can I run a line from the 1st building off the access point to the garage?  In the garage I would have an AP downstairs and another upstairs in the apartment (opposite side). I thought of using AX10 for this.  Another option is to run another line from my home router to the garage and then do the two APs. Would either of these schemes work, should I consider using switches or would the router outputs work.  I also thought about a MESH system using wired backhaul. I want to keep all areas on the same network (ssid) this is the reason I'm thinking of APs or MESH. Thank you for any suggestions 

Options
1 Reply
Re:Expand home network to two out door buildings
2 weeks ago

@DReidT 

Both of your proposed schemes are viable. You simply need to ensure that the cable you use is of high quality and try to keep the cable as short as possible because long cables consume more power. If you use Omada Controller to manage all APs, you can have them all share the same SSID.

To extend the signal, you can also use one of our bridge kits. However, since they communicate wirelessly, the signal is less stable. If it is more convenient for you to use a cable, I would still recommend it.

You can visit our official website to learn more about bridge kits.

Best Regards! >> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << >> Get the Latest Omada SDN Controller Releases Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 79

Replies: 1

Related Articles