EAP613 EAP670 High Latency & Rate Limiting

a week ago - last edited a week ago
Model: EAP613   EAP670  
Hardware Version: V1
Firmware Version: 1.4.4 (EAP613), 1.0.15 (EAP670)

I manage a small school campus with a 1gbps fiber connection using OPNSense, Dell N3000 switches and 15 Omada APs (613s/670s). I've been receiving complaints from students about dropped video conferencing calls and general wifi issues.  I tried a variety of things but the only thing that has helped is to greatly rate limit by client.  Lowering the cap seems to gradually improve things until it gets stable at about 80mbps down / 50mbps up (per client). Latency improved from 100s or even 1000s of ms down to <30ms. The problem seemed to be consistently worse on the upload side for some reason.

The fiber line is traffic shaped on the OPNSense box so that hard connections only return 3ms of latency.  The problem and solution seems consistent across testing with several devices and different APs.  In other words, the problem seems to be with the APs.

I'm testing on sites such as:

cloudflare

waveform

Does anyone have a similar experience or suggestions for testing/solution?  My best guess is that the hardware just can't keep up.  Maybe the radios or the CPU but it seems like when the APs are pushed the latency starts to increase.  

Thanks in advance for any help

Options
1 Reply
Re:EAP613 EAP670 High Latency & Rate Limiting
a week ago

Hi @Quaz 

This seems like wireless performance issue.

Please first refer to the following guide to do some wireless optimization:

How to optimize wireless performance of EAP products

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 90

Replies: 1

Related Articles