TL-R47T+ - does it use symmetric NAT? VoIP issues

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2013-11-12 04:53:54 - last edited 2021-08-21 03:37:50
Model : TL-R470T+

Hardware Version : V2.1

Firmware Version : 5.1.2

We've been experiencing intermittent one-way audio issues with our VoIP devices that are behind a TL-R470T+. I've noticed that forwarded internal ports are being converted to random external ports which is why I'm wondering if this router uses symmetric NAT.

For instance, the user agent port of one VoIP registration is set to 5060 but it appears as port 2081 at our VoIP service provider, which makes me assume that 2081 is the port that the TP-Link has opened. I figure a similar port translation is occurring at the RTP ports which is likely responsible for the intermittent one-way audio. If the TL-R470T+'s NAT is symmetric, then using a STUN server will not help, and unless there's some other workaround, we might have to look for another dual-WAN router that plays nicer with NAT.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 658

Replies: 0