WOL not working when target machine connected to TL-SG3424P

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-01-08 04:40:59
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-SG3424P

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : TL-SG3424P_V2_131219

ISP : N/A

Anyone know of any gotchas with getting WOL working with a TL-SG3424P switch?

Previously I had a D-Link unmanaged switch connected to my router (a Draytek 2820n) - WOL worked fine.
I've now upgraded to a TL-SG3424P and a Draytek 2860n+ router - now I have problems...

When the machine I'm trying to wake is connected to the TP-Link switch, it never wakes on a magic packet sent from within my LAN.
When the same machine is connected directly to a port on the router, it wakes fine.
Wireshark confirms that magic packets are being sent from the client machines within my LAN, and the machine also doesn't wake if I use the router's own WOL tool to send the packet.

The only config required on the router is to have the MAC address of the target machine bound to its IP address in the router config - this I've done...and it all works when the target machine is directly connected to the router, just not when the it's connected to the switch.

When the target machine is connected to the switch and is awake, then it identifies as full-speed. When the machine is asleep, it still identifies as connected, albeit at reduced speed (which I understand is normal).

Any ideas on why my target machine won't wake when connected to the TL-SG3424P but will when connected to my router?

Added Later

I originally posted this in the wrong product section, so I've re-posted here.
Since the original post I've updated to the latest firmware, and I notice there's a Network Security -> IP-MAC Binding option...

Is MAC->IP binding a new function of the switch?
I'm binding the IP of the machine I want to wake to its MAC address in my router, but does it need to be done here too/instead of in the router?
Options
4 Reply
Re:WOL not working when target machine connected to TL-SG3424P
2014-01-09 16:28:45
Have you reset the switch and try?
Actually you could use a hub which connects the target PC and a additional test PC to the switch, the target PC is asleep but the test PC could still capture the packets, try if you can capture the WOL packet.
Options
2014-01-09 16:37:13
Yeah, I have reset the switch - I moved to the latest firmware as I noticed there'd been a release in the first part of December, so it had a reset as a result of that.

I've only just moved the target machine back to being connected to the switch from the router, and not had a chance (yet) to see if the problem is still there.
I'll give it a proper going over on the weekend and post-back.

What you suggest is a good idea...

I know that WOL works in general for the machine (when connected directly to the router) and so I know the magic packets are sent.
If it still isn't working on the weekend, I'll try capturing the packets on the target machine whilst it's awake. I think I tried this, and found they were received, but with all the fiddling about I'm now not totally sure :o
Options
2014-01-09 20:30:55
As I know, the switch will not block any WOL packet without any specific rules set, waiting for your test result, curious now I am. By the way, I remember TL-SG3424P is a real tough big guy, heavy...:cool:
Options
2014-01-12 20:12:39
So...this wasn't a switch issue, but it was a real hassle to find out what it actually was...

Long story short, I think my successful sleeps/wakes prior to buying this switch were a fluke.
It turns out my machine was waking and sleeping every few minutes by default, interfering with WOL behaviour i.e. despite what testing showed, it wasn't really WOL/magic packets that were the problem. This actual behaviour could have started a few months ago after a network driver upgrade, but the source actually lay in the BIOS.

This probably won't mean much to anyone, as it's specific specific Intel motherboards and a management feature that really shouldn't be toggled "on" by default, but the entire reason for the problem, and the solution, are summed up in the "Correct Answer" here:

https://communities.intel.com/thread/29566

...the one single place I found this information, so thanks to the author.

Anyway, no more problems now - the target machine now sleeps/wakes as it should do based on receiving a magic packet.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2407

Replies: 4

Related Articles