Settings lost after power off...

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-02-12 00:27:52
Region : UnitedKingdom

Model : TL-SG3424P

Hardware Version : V2

Firmware Version : TL-SG3424P_V2_131219

ISP : N/A

Hi,

I just re-jigged my network setup - everything was off for about an hour, including my TL-SG3424P.

Powering on everything again when I was finished and I was left scratching my head as to why I couldn't connect to the switch - then I twigged that I had changed its IP address for my own setup.

Logging in using the default IP address and I found that the switch had reset itself to factory settings... I didn't do this explicitly, I just had it switched off for a bit.

Anyone had any experience of these switches losing all settings after a power-off?
Options
8 Reply
Re:Settings lost after power off...
2014-02-12 17:28:48

c128 wrote

Anyone had any experience of these switches losing all settings after a power-off?

Hi, c128

It may be damaged.

Connect a console cable to the switch, save configuration, reboot the switch and view errors on a terminal.

See TP-Link TL-SG3424P CLI Reference Guide -> Logon by a console port:
http://tplink-manuals.org/tplink-tl-sg3424p-cli-reference-guide/17/
Options
exactly the same happened to me
2014-02-17 08:11:53
running 2 vlans and a management lan

power cut and all switch settings lost - every setting back to factory default. Had to console into switch and use cli to reconfigure ip address and have just finished setting up the switch for the vlans.

A right PITA

Switch is not damaged in any way and has accepted all settings again. Dont want to have to do this every time there is a power cut!!!!!
Options
2014-02-17 14:10:42

dave_riches wrote

running 2 vlans and a management lan

power cut and all switch settings lost - every setting back to factory default

Did you save the settings?
[CODE]copy running-config startup-config[/CODE]

http://tplink-manuals.org/tplink-tl-sg3424p-cli-reference-guide/115/
Options
2014-02-18 05:33:36
Well, personally, I have created a backup now - I did that straight away after the initial problem.

As above - my switch isn't damaged/faulty either. Once powered back on again, you can configure it and it holds settings...whilst powered.
Power cuts do happen though, and I wouldn't expect it to lose settings.
Is there a length of time it will hold settings, I wonder...

This can't be by design, can it?
Options
2014-02-20 21:14:16
If you saved the config using the very IOS command copy run start, I wonder if the config is stored in a battery backed memory and the battery is going boink.

I am willing to test that: I will shut my switch off for an hour sometime today while I upgrade the memory and CPU in my Mac mini and then go do some errands. I will post my findinds
Options
Hi c128
2014-03-14 19:26:57
I've recently bought one of these switches and experienced exactly what you described having spent a little time configuring VLAN, PoE etc.
I refused to believe that the default settings would be loaded any time this switch was rebooted, lost power etc. and luckily it's not the case
All you need to do is log in to the switch, scroll down the left hand side to "save config"
This solved my problems and now whenever the switch is rebooted or switched off it boots with all my previous settings
Hope this works for you
Options
2014-05-03 05:25:14
Just passed back here on the off-chance - had forgotten about this.

Yeah, I discovered the safe config option shortly after posting my response.
Now...part of me feels a bit silly for not spotting this, whereas part of me thinks it isn't exactly obvious.

Still, working now :D .
Options
2018-03-06 09:25:07
Hello all,

I recently upgraded to the Smart Switch T1600G-28PS V2 and noticed it does the same thing.

everytime it resets and clock and all the settings reset.

I have tried to save the config but its the same.

any other ideas ?

Im very new to this.

thanks
Options