TL-ER604W Remote VPN Clients cannot see LAN computers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-ER604W Remote VPN Clients cannot see LAN computers

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
13 Reply
Re:TL-ER604W Remote VPN Clients cannot see LAN computers
2015-03-03 01:01:25 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:55:10
Region : Germany
Model : Archer C7
Hardware Version : Not Clear
Firmware Version : 3.14.1 Build 140929 Rel.33293n

Same Issue here.

The VPN Server(10.8.0.1) is running on a machine in the LAN (local IP 192.168.0.3 , IP forwarding enabled).
The TP-Link router is used as gateway (192.168.0.1). Port forwarding from WAN to the VPN Server is enabled.
A VPN Client(10.8.0.*) can successfully connect to the VPN Server over the Internet.

Now I'd like to access samba shares within the LAN that are located on a different machine (192.168.0.2) than the VPN server.
To do so, you have to "set up a route on the server-side LAN gateway to route the VPN client subnet (10.8.0.0/24) to the OpenVPN server" ( source).

So I configured a static route on the Archer C7:
[CODE]Destination Network: 10.8.0.0
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.3[/CODE]

However this doesn't seem to work. The VPN client can successfully connect to the VPN Server and the router with it's local IP can be pinged from the VPN client too. But the VPN client won't find any other machine on the LAN side. The strange thing is, when I install OpenWRT on the Archer C7 and apply the very same rules there, it works just fine.
Options
If the VPN is connected
2015-05-15 03:17:28 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:55:10
If the VPN says you are connected...then you are connected.

When you put in your local and remote IP's did you use a range 192.168.1.0/24 or did you do a specific IP?

Also check your AV software.

A lot of people forget that if you aren't on the network with the same IP your AV software will block anything that is not a local IP.

Also if you have windows firewall enabled it will happen also. You just have to add an IP Scope of the opposing IP addresses in each computer if you are trying to access data in particular.

If you have your Windows Firewall enabled, just go to:

Control Panel (Switch to View By:Small icons .... ahhhh familiarity)

Select Windows Firewall
Advanced Settings on the left
Left Click on Inbound Rules
Wait for the list to populate
Now right click on inbound rules and select New Rule
Select Custom
Then on the Left pick scope
Then under Which remote IP addresses does this rule apply to?
Select These IP addresses
Then Click Add
Add your opposing Network IP or range
Click Ok
Name the rule and click finish

See if that might be the problem possibly

- Q
Options
Re:TL-ER604W Remote VPN Clients cannot see LAN computers
2017-02-25 19:14:19 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:55:10
Another workaround:

Set machines you want to connect to as users
Set Traffic Control rules, Bandwidth rules, for those users (for the WAN the VPN is connecting to)

Somehow now those machines can be reached via VPN.

CORRECTION:
My problem was that by default I was setting a bandwidth limitation by default so I was not able to connect to those machines that had not been included in a Bandwidht Control rule because de default bandwidth was the minimum.
Options
Related Articles