TL-ER5120 - Multiple VLANs but only 1 Subnet?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-04-06 01:33:46 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:17:36
Region : Canada

Model : TL-ER5120

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 1.0.2

ISP :

I'm just starting to build this router / firewall.

I see that I can assign different VLANs to the physical ports. However, I can't see how to build a unique subnet for each VLAN. This type of configuration is typical in an enterprise network since it provides a great deal of flexibility. Am I missing something in the configuration? I've looked at the relevant portions in the documentation and I can't find any help there. Basically, my questions are as follows.

1. Can I assign a dedicated Subnet per VLAN?
- VLAN 1 = 192.168.1.0 / 24
- VLAN 2 = 192.168.2.0 / 24.
2. If so...can I build ACL's or firewall rules between the subnets?
3. If I can't do either, how can you call this an Enterprise router?

cw
Options
1 Reply
Enterprise ? Yeh Right......
2014-09-10 21:40:32 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:17:36

cyberwookie wrote

Region : Canada

Model : TL-ER5120

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 1.0.2

ISP :

I'm just starting to build this router / firewall.

I see that I can assign different VLANs to the physical ports. However, I can't see how to build a unique subnet for each VLAN. This type of configuration is typical in an enterprise network since it provides a great deal of flexibility. Am I missing something in the configuration? I've looked at the relevant portions in the documentation and I can't find any help there. Basically, my questions are as follows.

1. Can I assign a dedicated Subnet per VLAN?
- VLAN 1 = 192.168.1.0 / 24
- VLAN 2 = 192.168.2.0 / 24.
2. If so...can I build ACL's or firewall rules between the subnets?
3. If I can't do either, how can you call this an Enterprise router?

cw

Just seen your thread >. I have just been asking the same question. Yes it is a budget product, but it clearly misses the SMB market with such limited sub-netting.
I bought one assuming it would have a basic set of flexible VLAN options ,QVLAN and PORT based VLAN,s but it seems to be a WAN fail over switch in a big box.
I also cannot believe how basic the firewall options are. Not suitable for SOHO let alone SMB. Enterprise. ? Yeh Right....
Options