TL-R600VPN Outages

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TL-R600VPN Outages

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
TL-R600VPN Outages
TL-R600VPN Outages
2014-05-23 04:58:39 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:04:25
Region : UnitedStates

Model : TL-R600VPN

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version : Latest (1.2.1 Build 130831)

ISP :

First off, I love this router. But it has one major issue.
Ever other day or so, It seems to go out and crash entirely. No internet, cant access the admin panel, nothing.
There are no logs that I can get to that give me any context on the issue.

Some other interesting notes. My device hardware version says V1.1 according to this guide ( http://www.tp-link.com/lk/Article/?id=46).
After the latest firmware update, My admin panel says: "Hardware Version: R600VPN v2 00000000" which is very misleading.

I cannot recall if this issue was happening on the first version of the firmware. I initially upgraded the firmware because I was having major VPN outages.

Can anyone provide some information on what may be happening here?

Thanks.
Options
3 Reply
Me too
2014-06-24 19:05:19 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:04:25
I too am experience outages very recently. I have had this router for about one year. It' has been reliable. Within the last few weeks though, I have noticed outages. at first I thought it was my ISP. As of yesterday, I noticed the outages are becoming far more frequent. I am able to get maybe 2 minutes of internet access. I tried to visit the router web control page and it was dead. I can ping the router just fine, but the control page is unresponsive. After 5 minutes or so, it responds quickly and I can get a few configs selected. Then it freezes for a few minutes. It responds to ping during these outages and comes back. When the router is responsive the internet works. I factory reset it and flashed the latest firmware. Same symptom. The router is in my basement which is cool and a dehumidifier is running.
Options
Re:TL-R600VPN Outages
2014-06-25 21:16:01 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:04:25
Some more information:
My buddy works at Comcast on their networking side. I managed to run a Speedtest during one of the moments when my router was stable. I got just over 100mbps down. I've never got over 60mbps before. I called and asked him about this and he said they did a network speedup for everyone on Tuesday morning. That correlates pretty well with the errors I see in my log file.

I don't know for sure-- but it seems that on overly fast internet connection on the received side (from the WAN) can cause this router to flake out.

More testing to follow.....
Options
Re:TL-R600VPN Outages
2014-06-26 08:54:48 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:04:25
Started removing items on the network. Problem went away. One of the switches I used was a was a linksys router with a 8 port gbit switch. I has shut off the routing capability, but I replaced it with a manhattan gbit switch.

Not entirely sure what happened but all seems we'll now.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 727

Replies: 3

Related Articles