TP-LINK TL-R600VPN problem regarding DHCP implementation?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-08-27 04:27:34 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:17:48
Region : Sweden

Model : TL-R600VPN

Hardware Version : R600VPN v2 00000000

Firmware Version : 1.2.2 Build 140530 Rel.35298n

ISP : ETANET (Norrtalje, Sweden)

Hi,

I have bought the TP-Link TL-600VPN and I have noticed this message,frequently appearing in the log:

DHCPS:Recv INFORM from XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

So I checked what it would mean.

The DHCPInform message explained

Here's the explanation as from the Microsoft:

DHCPInform

DHCPInform is a new DHCP message type, defined in RFC 2131, used by computers on the network to request and obtain information from a DHCP server for use in their local configuration. When this message type is used, the sender is already externally configured for its IP address on the network, which may or may not have been obtained using DHCP. This message type is not currently supported by the DHCP service provided in earlier versions of Windows NT Server and may not be recognized by third-party implementations of DHCP software.

Reference link: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958940.aspx

It is simply a request for information issued by a DHCP client to the DHCP server.

More details regarding the DHCP protocol can be found at the RFC Editor's homepage as being the current Standards Track (RFC 2131): Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol

Consequences

The DHCP protocol is a logical one, relying on TCP/UDP at ports 67 and 68 and has therefore nothing with the actual hardware to do. Due to the fact that the TP-Link is the originating vendor it is very likely that identical DHCP management code is used in several TP-LINK products. (program code). There are several threads on the TP-LINK Tech Support forum, who mention similar problems, none with a full preliminary diagnostic issue.

I found the following relevant thread describing serious prroblems related to the DHCPInform request and have selected it as an reference:

The "freezing" behavior

This behavior is carefully described in the following thread on the TP-LINK Tech Support Forum: [URL=http://forum.tp-link.com/showthread.php?72467-TL-WR1043ND-gets-frozen-several-times-a-day]TL-WR1043ND gets frozen several times a day[/URL]

I therefore checked whether I can note this "freezing" behavior herein even with the TL-R600VPN in conjunction with the DHCPInform request. I can add that I am regularly watching my TP-Link TL-R600VPN through some of the status windows available from the builtin web server. They are automatically refreshed to show the actual status information.

But sometimes the refreshings ends up with a message indicating that the TL-R600VPN web server not is available (not accessible). I have to manually restart the watching process in my web client, moreover I have some complaints regarding dropped connection from some of my end customers.

Another indication is that it sometimes takes remarkable long time to connect to the builtin web server on the TP-Link TL-R600VPN - I connect via a private 1 GB internal wired connecttion, no heavy load interference.

Similar connection problems are common in an Internet based network environment (client-server or P2P connection as well as state-less connections, for example streaming media) and often hard to diagnose as such things happens momentarily everywhere on the global Internet. But this is within a privare wired LAN completely based on a private address space (ping times generally at 1 ms).

But in my case I suspect the TL-R600VPN as the problematic component due to difficulties to properly handle the standard DHCPInform requests indicated by frequent appearances in the log. The main indication concludes that the "freezing" state, as said by several talkers in the reference thread explanation and I may assume that the program code managing the DHCP is common to several products regardless whether they use WiFi or wired connections. It does not concern the physical layer, rather the logical implementation at application level.

So I would be grateful if the TP-LINK support team can comment these observations and notifications to grant that the TP-LINK DHCP implementation really conforms with the DHCP specification as issued by the IANA through the RFC Editor as the RFC 2131 specification mentioned above.

As a temporary solution I have removed all DHCP based equipment in the LAN using the DHCPInform request to avoid the observed distorsions, detectable in the TL-R600VPN log.

I would also appreciate if others want to commen upon this subject!
Options
3 Reply
Re:TP-LINK TL-R600VPN problem regarding DHCP implementation?
2014-08-29 04:41:28 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:17:48
Now firmware has been updated.

The following information now applies:

Firmware Version : 1.2.3 Build 140801 Rel.49374n (* updated *)

Hopefully this helps!

Axel49
Options
2014-09-09 15:48:42 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:17:48
Hi, I thought I was facing the same problem at first.
But when I tried to capture some packets by wireshark, I found that the router does reply to DHCP inform.
So I think the router can handle on DHCP inform, but the TP-LINK guys forgot to write it in the system log.

Oh, the software I'm using now was built on August 1, 2014.

Axel49 wrote

Now firmware has been updated.

The following information now applies:

Firmware Version : 1.2.3 Build 140801 Rel.49374n (* updated *)

Hopefully this helps!

Axel49
Options
2014-09-09 16:59:30 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:17:48
OK, this only means that the original problem cause is something else than being a DHCPInform management problem. I'll continue to talk with the TP-LINK support but the performance and stability tests performed here are time-consuming (25 hours per pingtest run, should rather be made by the TP-LINK development team than the support team). Eliminating the appearance of the DHCPInform (simple, use static IP instead of DHCP assigned dynamic IP) did not gave any considerable effect. Packet drop still appears.

But pingtests for checking stability and performance are time-consuming so I will probably replace the TL-R600VPN in short with something else. I have already done 3 runs with pingtest at 25 hours each, all resulting in a considerable packet loss, 40-50 per 85-90.000 pings over 25 hours.

Regarding the "freezing" behavior I don't think it is directly caused by the TL-R600VPN. It comes from the management interface, written in Java, and concerns the Auto Refresh of some windows (Status and Statistics) and the "freezing" (deadlock) occurs locally in web browser window, not with the TL-R600VPN. Looks like a local garbage buffer in the local Java VM is overfilled. It can be solved manually by duplicating the "dead" window (I use Google Chrome) and you are back in the automatic refreshing status/statistics window! I don't know wherher this is a Java problem or programming problem of the refresh code.

But as it doesn't gives any remarkable effect to eliminate the DHCPInform usage from client it seems that there is something else causing the unstability observed.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1868

Replies: 3