How to Limit DHCP to only GUEST WiFi Clients

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2014-10-22 01:50:12 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:27:53
Region : UnitedStates

Model : TL-ER6120

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : Current

ISP :

Our company network provides DNS, DHCP, etc. However, we have created a guest wifi ssid (using multi-ssid). We do not want the guest wifi users to be able to "see" ANY resource on the local lan. It appears that the guest setting and AP Isolation accomplish this, but the clients cannot get an IP.

If I enable the DHCP server on this router, then it also hands out IP's for LAN and VPN clients and this causes DNS lookups to fail for LAN based resources. Especially for LAN base PC clients as they cannot find the servers. Thus, I cannot enable the router dhcp server for general use.

Is it possible to enable the TPLink DHCP server on this router so that ONLY guest WiFi users are given addresses? All normal WiFi users and VPN users should use our normal DHCP server. Or possibly put an answer delay so that it only responds if no other DHCP server does?

Thanks.
Duane.
Options
3 Reply
Re:How to Limit DHCP to only GUEST WiFi Clients
2014-10-22 13:56:59 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:27:53
Your topology please?
Options
Network Topology
2014-11-08 05:17:23 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:27:53
We have a full corporate network and firewall.

Main Firewall 10.1.1.1/16
Internal DNS servers 10.1.3.1/16
PC Clients get dhcp from 10.1.5.0/23

The TP Link router is 10.1.1.2/16 and public side is 12.242.13.28/28
Normally, there is only one outside VPN client that attaches to the public TPlink IP. This all works fine.

The intention is to setup the TP link wifi so that it is PUBLIC GUEST only. It will route and handle all traffic through it's own public IP and the WIFI guests cannot see ANY LAN traffic. The problem is that If I enable dhcp on the tplink router, then it is handing our IP's on the LAN interface and this causes problems with Active Directory and internal network problems as clients that get dhcp IP's from the tplink do not have the correct DNS, and gateway.

I need to BLOCK all wifi access to the LAN and DHCP needs to ONLY offer IP's to WiFi guests.

It is important to note that the remote VPN client that connects through this TP link router still needs to communicate fully with LAN clients.
Options
Re:How to Limit DHCP to only GUEST WiFi Clients
2014-11-27 05:04:30 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:27:53
You wrote that you have a Model : TL-ER6120.
I cannot replicate this problem with my Model : TL-ER6120 because it does not support Wireless. What Access Point or Router are you using for your wireless clients?
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1854

Replies: 3

Related Articles