Dissatisfied with TL-ER6120

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-02-15 06:25:26 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:40:37
Region : Canada

Model : TL-ER6120

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 1.07

ISP :

This router has turned out to be a major disappointment. I will be avoiding TP-LINK VPN products from now on. Their WAP's, modems and low-end routers are okay, for what you get. But right now I am debating whether or not to pawn this TL-ER6120 off somewhere that only needs a simple router, or simply eat the 20% restocking charge.

As a "VPN DUAL-WAN" router, it is a case of false advertising in my opinion. After a week of testing with other VPN routers, here is what I conclude:

1) It's dual WAN failover doesn't support VPN Gateway-to-Gateway connections, which sort of defeats the purpose.

2) Related to the above, "It's not allowed to add entries for remote host with IP "0.0.0.0" if there exists an entry with
client IP address "0.0.0.0" ..." a rule that right away precludes the ability to setup backup VPN GW-to-GW
connections to use the other WAN1/WAN2 port. It also creates conflicts between L2TP and "Client-to-LAN"
entries, restricting clients to use only one type of connection.

3) Its IPsec policies are missing standard connection modes: "RESPONDER", "INITIATOR" and "BOTH".
VPN connections are hit & miss without control of whether a router starts or responds to negotiation.

4) Its Web UI and log entries contain typical Chinese grammatical errors, reflecting a poor quality off-shore product.

5) Overall, features expected of a VPN dual-WAN router appear to be lacking.

6) Vendor support from TP-LINK is non-existent. A case of "abandonware".

At least I gave it an honest try. But suffice it to say, a TL-ER6120 will not work at any of my sites. I cannot in good conscience recommend a VPN router from TP-LINK to anyone. Especially one whose vendor neglects to support.
Options
2 Reply
Re:Dissatisfied with TL-ER6120
2015-02-15 10:09:31 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:40:37
I'm not sure if what you said has confirmed with TP-LINK support team here.
http://ticket.tp-link.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
Options
Re:Dissatisfied with TL-ER6120
2015-02-15 11:26:06 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:40:37

Vivian wrote

I'm not sure if what you said has confirmed with TP-LINK support team here.
http://ticket.tp-link.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit

Am I conversing with TP-LINK support??? If so, I am pleasantly surprised. Judging from many threads I've read here, I got the impression that TP-LINK support didn't monitor this forum, let alone addressed tickets. But if this thread caught someone's attention, maybe I'll hang onto this router a while, at least to see what the next firmware release does. Who knows, it may find a home after all.

Mind you that a "Dual-WAN VPN" router in which "Dual-WAN" and VPN do not work with each other, and lacks "Responder / Initiator" settings that are pretty much standard in GW-to-GW VPN tunneling, its firmware has a lot of catching up to do. Firmware bugs are one thing, but not living up to the product description is entirely another. I can only hope the TL-ER6120 matures into a functional product, and does so soon.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 582

Replies: 2

Related Articles