Managing WAN IP addresses

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-02-18 19:36:33
Region : Argentina

Model : TL-SG5428

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi guys,

We're a small IT company and this is the first time we've had to run one of these solutions.

We have a 100meg Virgin Media Leased line set up and want to use TL-SG3424P Switches to manage a number of client connections, assigning them a particular public IP and slice of bandwidth etc.

I'm not sure how to go about it with these switches but I have seen compeitiors of ours that do use them so I know it can be done.

My theory is that I program our first usable static IP in to the switche's LAN parameters, this will allow us to manage the switch remotely.

Then I enable/disable the ports on the switch as we see fit and set Bandwitdth limits for a particular port to correspond with what the client is paying for.

what i'm not sure about is assigning a public IP address to a particualr port, is this possibloe or is it just a case of managing the available IP's ourselves and the switch just manages the bandwidth?

Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance for your help.

Mark
Options
2 Reply
Re:Managing WAN IP addresses
2015-02-19 03:32:40
not sure what happened when i submitted this but my region is the UK and the hardware is as follows

Hardware Version:
TL-SG3424P 2.0

Firmware Version:
1.0.5 Build 20131219 Rel.76195
Options
Re:Managing WAN IP addresses
2021-02-17 10:50:59 - last edited 2021-02-17 10:56:51

@markikona Hi Mark, I hope that you are well. Did you ever get a resolution for your Virgin Media leased line issue? My first instinct here would be that public IP address ranges are outside of the RFC permitted ranges for internal LAN and therefore the switch may not allow you to configure those ranges on the switch interface(s). I would also have sizeable cyber security concerns about having something like a switch open to the internet for remote access. In these kinds of scenarios we would work with an ISP that can deliver a managed router with multiple interfaces, and then each interface can be separate in terms of VLAN, bandwidth, QoS, IP addressing etc at carrier level.

Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1482

Replies: 2