Zero Failover Time By Load Balancing -- How Do I Do It?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-02-22 11:04:58 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:41:23
Region : UnitedStates

Model : TL-R470T+

Hardware Version : V4

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Router's working great. I am in failover mode and reconnection is about 15-20 seconds, but even that is too slow. An advanced user, in an Amazon review, was able to reconfigure this router to Zero failover time in the following manner:

"There are various ways you can configure the load balancing between the two WAN connections. Initially I set it up as a failover system. When my cable connection goes down the DSL connection then goes active and is used to provide internet. As it turns out this is a non-optimal implementation because when primary WAN failure is detected the router then has to first connect to the secondary WAN device, get an IP address and wait until the connection is stable. This process, as it turns out is not seamless, and in my case took about 20 seconds. Not good enough! So I reconfigured the TP-Link's load-balancing to sharing the internet load between the two WAN ports. This works seamlessly but some devices/processes end up using the poky DSL connection based on random assignment. This might not be noticeable for an email or even web access but for Netflix or a large file download this is a problem. So I took the additional step to specify that all local network hosts should only use the primary internet connection. The result is basically "unfair" load balancing. Everyone always uses the fast connection unless it becomes unavailable and in that case everyone uses whatever connection is available, namely the secondary WAN connection. This works much better and faster than "explicit failover." In most cases I do not notice when the primary WAN goes down and virtual switchover occurs. And the switchover back to from secondary to primary also works seamlessly. Very nice indeed."

Unfortunately, I do not understand the steps to take to achieve unfair load balancing in the manner he suggests. Can someone walk me through the steps needed to carry out the above? Thanks very much.
Options
4 Reply
Re:Zero Failover Time By Load Balancing -- How Do I Do It?
2019-12-01 02:16:11 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:41:23

@pt33 This guy use ip policy routing which direct connection to priority WAN.

Used that also, but do not notice the zero time failover. Still need about tens of second.

Options
2019-12-02 03:01:14 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:41:23

@pt33 

As Yos said, I think the user means policy routing as well. You can make the specific data only pass one of WAN port. When that WAN port down, the data can go to another WAN. This is what policy routing can do. Two WAN ports will both keep up. If you use link backup, the backup WAN will be down when primary WAN is woriking.

About how to make the specific data only pass one of WAN port, you need to set up policy routing item. You need to set IP or TCP/UDP ports for specific data. The data which match the item will go to the specific WAN port. You can refer to the FAQ. https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/2134/

Options
2019-12-03 03:54:24 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:41:23

@Andone what do you think the impact of WAN's static/dyanamic ip, dns, subnet on failover?

Options
2019-12-04 02:12:51 - last edited 2021-04-19 11:41:23
For static IP address, it doesn't need to get the IP address. So just need to wait for the backup WAN up. It should take less time than ddynamic IP.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 6328

Replies: 4