IPsec over NAT-T not working properly

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-05-15 02:52:31 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:50:57
Region : UnitedStates

Model : TL-ER604W

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 1.1.0 Build 20141031 Rel.32628s

ISP : Comcast

So I actually have a few questions.

So my main router that I have 19 different locations connecting to is a Cisco ASA 5510. I have the TL-WE604W's at each of the 19 different locations.

When I establish my IPSEC connection for the first time everything connects fine. But, after the SA lifetime period runs out (8 hrs) and it goes to re-establish (re-key) a connection I get an error from my ASA router stating:

Duplicate Phase 1 packet detected. Retransmitting last Packet
P1 Retransmit msg dispatched to AM FSM
Received an un-encrypted INVLID-PAYLOAD-TYPE notify message, dropping
Information Exchange processing failed
QM FSM error (P2 struct &0xacd20368, mess id 0x443b605d)!
Removing peer from correlator table failed, no match!
Sessionis being torn down. Reason: Lost Service

So, I looked these errors up and everyone was pointing to IKE pre-shared key mismatch (which would be understandable if it wouldn't connect when establishing the connection for the first time, but it does connect the first time no problem).

So, now I did some more research and found the following on Cisco's website:

Restrictions for IPsec NAT Transparency

Although this feature addresses many incompatibilities between NAT and IPsec, the following problems still exist:

Internet Key Exchange (IKE) IP Address and NAT

This incompatibility applies only when IP addresses are used as a search key to find a preshared key. Modification of the IP source or destination addresses by NAT or reverse NAT results in a mismatch between the IP address and the preshared key.

So now it makes sense that on my ASA I am getting errors about mismatched pre-shared keys and why it connects the first time fine, but does not connect any subsequent time.

Now my Questions:

Do I need to have IPSEC over NAT-T enabled or i.e. are there security risks involved if I don't have it enabled?

Is there a setting on the TP-LINK that I can set to enable NAT-T? (Note: I know it's now the same thing, but i turned on DPD just for kicks and that didn't help anything)

Is there a setting on the TP-LINK that I can set it to switch my Identity from using an IP address to using a hostname or KeyID?

- Thanks in advance

Q
Options
1 Reply
Re:IPsec over NAT-T not working properly
2015-05-19 09:26:55 - last edited 2021-08-21 04:50:57
Did you get it solved? If not, submit a ticket here directly. I have no much time to read such a long post...lol :D
http://ticket.tp-link.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 1157

Replies: 1

Related Articles