TP PharOS 1.2.1 on CPE510 - Max Transmit Power is 23 dBm, not 27 dBm

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

TP PharOS 1.2.1 on CPE510 - Max Transmit Power is 23 dBm, not 27 dBm

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
19 Reply
Re:TP PharOS 1.2.1 on CPE510 - Max Transmit Power is 23 dBm, not 27 dBm
2016-01-05 20:56:29
First, thanks to all of you for your replies.
If the output power is not affected by the firmware version, there is no reason for try a downgrade. It's only a false value displayed, right?

So, in the end the only sadness is that the CPE510...Was never able to reach the 27dbm as declared on the first time.

I agree with the fact that the product is still a good product, in almost every way. but I bought it just for the great output power in
combination with the 13dbi antenna gain. If TP-Link would have been honest since the first day, maybe I would have chosen another brand,
like Ubiquiti or Alpha.

Just to tell you, yesterday I had the opportunity to see a CPE510 bought by a friend:
the version is 1.1, almost identical with the 1.0; even the firmware is the version 1.3.0 (If I remember correctly) that miss
the TEST_MODE, the same version I found on my 1.0. The differences from version 1.0 to 1.1, are only on the box: the color is changed from green to blue, and the specs regarding the output power were removed in version 1.1!

Maybe most people don't care about the 27dbm, and even don't care about the "little" error on the tech specs,
but I care...Because we are talking about of a loss more than twice the power. And, instead of reading an official answer saying something like "Sorry, we made a mistake", I saw only evident justification to hide the error. And, still no official answer.

That's all...Maybe I exaggerated, But this is what I think about this story.

And, after your replies and after seeing the CPE510 1.1, it is clear that I have to keep it just as it is! =D

Thanks TP-Link!
Options
2016-01-06 00:54:40

turisystem wrote

If the output power is not affected by the firmware version, there is no reason for try a downgrade

510 was never a 27 dBm device, you can check that fact. how. if you are able to use Recovery tool, try it, if not stop reading, and wish you a good year 2016.
Flash OpenWrt on 510, get the .Bin from here http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/ you will see it reads 23 never readed 27 on third party firmware
I dont recommend using OpenWrt on Pharos line, its buggy, if you like flaws and are interested, flash a Snapshot from Trunk, (there is no web interface, LuCi) you will have to download via pkts.and all before LuCi will have to be done via CLI, use only upper channels, lower ones are buggy.
My recommendation, stay in Stock, Pharos Control Utility has a lot of features, third party firmware does not have a utility for administration of Pharos line.
here http://www.tp-link.com/resources/software/PharosControl_v1.1.1.zip
Options
2016-01-06 09:15:17
Where did you find that TEST_MODE miss? I've advised my friends to buy CPE510 V1.1 and want to confirm this issue.
Options
2016-01-06 15:16:58

stupidbird wrote

Where did you find that TEST_MODE miss? I've advised my friends to buy CPE510 V1.1 and want to confirm this issue.

@bird, he posted on #12 (If I remember correctly) that miss
Options
2016-01-06 17:48:53

stupidbird wrote

In my unit (1.0) and the one of my friend (1.1) we found a firmware version (don't remember correctly, I think it was 1.3.0) were there is no TEST_MODE.
But don't worry, just perform an update to the latest firmware (actually 1.3.2) and TEST_MODE is here again.
Options
2016-01-06 17:58:38

danymarc wrote

510 was never a 27 dBm device, you can check that fact. how. if you are able to use Recovery tool, try it, if not stop reading, and wish you a good year 2016.
Flash OpenWrt on 510, get the .Bin from here http://downloads.openwrt.org/chaos_calmer/15.05/ar71xx/generic/ you will see it reads 23 never readed 27 on third party firmware
I dont recommend using OpenWrt on Pharos line, its buggy, if you like flaws and are interested, flash a Snapshot from Trunk, (there is no web interface, LuCi) you will have to download via pkts.and all before LuCi will have to be done via CLI, use only upper channels, lower ones are buggy.
My recommendation, stay in Stock, Pharos Control Utility has a lot of features, third party firmware does not have a utility for administration of Pharos line.
here http://www.tp-link.com/resources/software/PharosControl_v1.1.1.zip

[COLOR=windowtext][COLOR=windowtext][FONT=Calibri]Thank you for the great informations.
Yes, I am able to use recovery tool and flash OpenWrt, but I agree with your advice, better stay in stock. Anyway, I don’t need to do that because I fully trust you when you say that CPE510 is built for 23dbm output power. First I hoped that the power was limited by firmware; but thanks to your replies we can be sure that the device was born for 23dbm. So, I was wrong, it is not a matter of firmware. But that made me more sad about tplink: They sell a device with a false tech spec. maybe an error, maybe intentionally…but in any way, it's not fair. Am I wrong about that?

[/FONT]

[COLOR=windowtext][COLOR=windowtext][FONT=Calibri]Thaks again for the precious help. And of course, good 2016 to all!
[/FONT]
Options
2016-01-06 21:19:48

turisystem wrote

They sell a device with a false tech spec. maybe an error, maybe intentionally…but in any way, it's not fair. Am I wrong about that?

It will all depend on your philosophical perspective ... "Is the glass half empty or half full"
I have always said.
if you did not have a Tp-Link device in your early stage in your network, you did not have childhood.
This are the 3 reasons why I bought CPE510

subir fotos a internet
Options
2017-11-03 02:08:27

danymarc wrote

If you want to (see) the 27dbm back, downgrade to first firmware, if you don't have it, PM

need old firmware for cpe510, can you send it to me in pm? thanks
Options
2017-11-03 02:12:00

danymarc wrote

If you want to (see) the 27dbm back, downgrade to first firmware, if you don't have it, PM
hi danymarc, I need the old firmware to see the 27dbm back. can you send it to me in pm? thanks.
Options
Related Articles