Requesting guidance for 480T+ configuration (balancing and routing)

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-08-18 11:21:58 - last edited 2021-08-21 06:44:37
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

[/TD]
[TD]

Hardware: TL-R480T+ v7.0
Firmware:1.0.0 Build 20141208 Rel.36351s

Setup
two wifi Routers connected to DSL w/ static IP Static 192.168.1.2 and 192.168.1.3 as internet sources
these two wifi routers are connected to Load balancer WAN ports (1 and 2)
Load balancer connects to a switch and handles DHCP
Network clients connect to switch

Settings:
ROUTER R480T+ LAN IP is 192.168.43.1

WAN 1: Static IP , using gateway 192.168.1.2 (Primary)
WAN 2: Static IP , using gateway 192.168.1.3 ((Backup)
http://goo.gl/tIBf68

I have successfully configured dual WAN setup and fail-over.

I would like to know what configuration is necessary to achieve the following goals: (i dont have to set all these at once i just want to learn how to do things for each goal)

1) when a specific website is being requested (ie. facebook.com ), force that connection through WAN 2

2) make a specific PC on LAN (192.168.43.69) go through WAN 2 as primary and WAN 1 as backup.

3) Smarter load balancing where 1st group of PC uses WAN 1 as primary and another group of PC use WAN 2 as primary (is that even possible?)

4) In the SYSTEM STATUS page of the Router, WAN 1 and WAN 2 shows "link up" and "connected" always:
http://goo.gl/tIBf68
even when WAN 1 goes down. It seems to be indicating the LAN connection of WAN PORT to ROUTER and not the actual ONLINE/OFFLINE from internet status. For this i have to keep visiting the Maintenance>Diagnostics>online detection page to see if any of the WANs go offline.
How do I correct this?

5) I have set online detection mode to MANUAL and used google 8.8.8.8 as ping and dns for testing . is this an ok practice? http://goo.gl/ex0IY2

6) I would like to be able to access the the wifi routers GUI directly (ie 192.168.1.3) even if im connected through the Loadbalancer and using the IP 192.168.43.69 , is this possible? Since the routers are connected to the Load balancer's WAN PORTS, i figured this wont work so I connected the Wifi Router's other LAN port to the Load balancer's free LAN PORT so it's like:

ROUTER's LAN 1 ------> Loadbalancer PORT 1 (WAN)
ROUTER's LAN 2 ------> Loadbalancer PORT 3 (LAN)
Options
1 Reply
Re:Requesting guidance for 480T+ configuration (balancing and routing)
2016-07-29 02:07:02 - last edited 2021-08-21 06:44:37
Hello!

1) this, imo, only works using Facebook IPs, which frequently changes. You will find this point under Advanced -> Load Balance - > Policy Routing.Fill in the Destination IP(s), using the same twice or a range. Set which WAN should be used.

2) Same place, but using the Source IP. I set static IPs for such devices (Network -> LAN -> DHCP Reservation ) and defined each by using "Source IP: 192.168.0.10 - 192.168.0.10". You may use a range as well and saving the hassle to define every device one by one

3) As described in 2) you may define ever device or a range for prioritizing which WAN to use. Group function does, imo, not work here. If the prioritized WAN goes down, it will switch to the remaining WANs

4) The status changes only, when ISP is not providing valid IP (i.e. 0.0.0.0.0). If he does provide IP but isn't routing further, you may check this automatically by using Maintenance -> Diagnostics -> Online Detection.
See my setup as reference:

"Manual" doesn't mean it wouldn't check it automatically, it just defines that you want to define "manually" what to ping. If the case occurs, that the ISP is providing an IP but the "Online Detection" can't píng the manually set locations, the WAN will show on this page as offline and R480T+ will use alternative WAN (please understand that in "Status" it still shows as "connected"). Here the "Auto" setting will ping the ISP gateway, which, in the case described above, is still reachable, but does not transmit to the internet.

5) As explained in 4) it is indeed the only correct way!

6) Don't know, sorry!

Hope this helps!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 787

Replies: 1