High RxBadPkt on TL-SG108E

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-09-29 06:27:42 - last edited 2022-07-22 10:45:17
Model : TL-SG108E

Hardware Version : V1

Firmware Version : 1.1.2 Build 20141017 Rel. 50749

ISP :

I'm getting very high RxBadPkt on ports configured as VLAN access port. Setup is Router - Cisco switch - TP-Link01 - TP-Link02. Cisco shows no errors or dropped packages. On the trunk ports (Tagged) of the TP-link switches the RXBadPkt is the total count of the RxBadPkt packages connected to a configured access port ( Untagged 802.1Q PVID). Connecting the same device (laptop or AP) to a port without a configured PVID (so default PVID1) on either switch the RxBadPkt is 0 and stays 0. I'm not noticing bad performance on the access ports but the high RxBadPkt seems really strange. What could be the cause of this?

Configuration of the second TP-Link switch with a connected access point on port 8 with configured VLAN:

Configuration of the first switch:

Now monitoring the statistics shows a lot of RxBadPkt when Access Point is connected to VLAN on port 8 (Monitoring was refreshed shortly before screenshot):

Same on switch 01:

Connecting access point (or whatever device) to a port without a configured VLAN shows no RxBadPkt. In this case connected to port 5 on switch 1. Same result on switch 2. The same device on a configured VLAN and the RxBadPkt sky rockets very quickly.

Regards
Options
1 Accepted Solution
Re:High RxBadPkt on TL-SG108E-Solution
2021-04-26 10:41:56 - last edited 2021-04-26 10:42:07

Hi All,

To help you find the answer quickly, I'd like to summarize the High "RxBadPkt" count issue here:

When the switch receives packets of 64 bytes, the untagged packet will be considered as "RxGoodPkt", while the tagged packet will be taken as "RxGoodPkt" and "RxBadPkt" together (the switch will still forward the tagged packets of 64 bytes). Thus you could see the "RxBadPkt" but not notice any bad performance on the switch. Please do not worry about this "RxBadPkt" on your switch, it will not block the network or affect the performance.

In fact, this is the Statistical mechanism of the chipset used on the TL-SG108E or other switch with the same chipset. The R&D team can't change the name of "RxBadPkt" since the value of the port statistics gets from the register in the chipset.

About why the tagged packets will be taken as "RxBadPkt", if you are interested, please refer to floor#20 in this thread.

The following is quoted with the main Problem Description for your reference.

edegrave wrote

On the trunk ports (Tagged) of the TP-link switches the RXBadPkt is the total count of the RxBadPkt packages connected to a configured access port ( Untagged 802.1Q PVID). Connecting the same device (laptop or AP) to a port without a configured PVID (so default PVID1) on either switch the RxBadPkt is 0 and stays 0. I'm not noticing bad performance on the access ports but the high RxBadPkt seems really strange. What could be the cause of this?

Connecting access point (or whatever device) to a port without a configured VLAN shows no RxBadPkt.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
33 Reply
Re:High RxBadPkt on TL-SG108E
2016-02-07 05:21:21
edegrave, anything ever come of this? I have the same problem with VLANadn RxBadPkt.
Options
2016-02-18 00:58:57
Hi,

Have anyone found the solution for this problem?

I also experience this problem and it only happens when there is traffic on wireless networks. If i un-plug and turn off the Access Point and leave only wired connections, there are no errors.

On my switch TL-SG108E (v1.0) the port 1 connects to my router TL-ER5120, port 2 connects to my access point TL-WA901ND and port 3 connects to a TL-SG1016 unmanaged switch.

Thanks
Options
2016-02-18 19:08:14
Hi,

Sorry for late response, haven't visited the forum in a while. Nothing came out of the support request. They stated that it was not possible to reproduce. I find that hard to believe since it was easy to reproduce even in a completely different environment.
Anyways, it doesn't seem to effect the actual workings of the switch, it must be bad reporting since I have no network problems. I did find it disturbing and it gave me a feeling of unreliability. So after some searching I just took the dive and bought 2x Cisco SG200-08. More expensive but works flawless and has a normal webinterface.

I don't expect TP-Link to do any more work on the V1 firmware since V2 is now for sale. So, ignore the problem or just get another switch.
Options
2016-05-17 16:55:49
Hi, I have the same problem. On tagged VLAN interfaces I see large RxBadPkt numbers. I'm using revision V2. I have two tagged VLAN interfaces, rest is untagged. On both tagged interfaces I have connected MikroTik routers.
Options
2016-05-17 17:01:42
Hi, I have the same problem. On tagged VLAN interfaces I see large RxBadPkt numbers. I'm using revision V2. I have two tagged VLAN interfaces, rest is untagged. On both tagged interfaces I have connected MikroTik routers.
Options
2017-01-27 03:26:47
I have the same problem with TL-SG108E V2 connected to mikrotik hAP ac. Interface connected to mikrotik have many errors. The same thing is on all other interfaces in the same VLAN.
Options
2017-03-19 23:58:18
I am having the same problem, mine is the V1. It happens on tagged and untagged ports
Options
2017-05-04 23:16:08
Firmware Version 1.0.2 Build 20160526 Rel.34615
Hardware Version TL-SG108E 2.0

So this thread is from 2015, and nothing from tplink? Seeing this is well, have not actually verified by sending specific number of tag packets. But sure looks like it is marking tagged packets as bad. Even though seems to be passing them. Will do more testing today.. Hoping its just cosmetic. But this really should be corrected. Clearly its been an issue for v1 and v2, and different firmware. On most current firmware can find. Wonder if there is any beta firmware can try?

[/TD]
[TD="class: NORMAL_TAIL"]
[/TD]
[TD="class: NORMAL_TAIL"]
Options
Same here v2
2017-05-29 02:39:25
I`m facing the same problem with tl-sg108e v2, wonder if TP-LINK will release a new firmware update.

RxBadPkt incrementing on the tagged port as well.

The setup here is:

port 1 > tagged (incrementing errors)
port 2 > untagged for vlan x
port 3 > untagged for vlan y

Changing cable didn`t solve the issue, also, the cable test performed at the switch GUI was OK, and also an external cable test was performed and no problems found in the cables.
Options
2017-05-29 22:57:53
I emailed tech support about this but after redirecting me to "the engineering section" I heard nothing from them (although I never emailed them about abandoning my ticket). I would like to hear an explanation from them.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 38979

Replies: 33