High RxBadPkt on TL-SG108E

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

High RxBadPkt on TL-SG108E

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
33 Reply
Re:High RxBadPkt on TL-SG108E
2021-02-26 13:43:34

Similar experience here, involving two Asus routers and two TP-Link switches, but with a slight twist: 

Setup 1: No Aimesh (i.e. Router 1 set in wireless router mode, Router 2 in wired access point) ==> no RxBadPkts in either TP-L Switch 1 or 2.

Setup 2: Aimesh (i.e. Router 1 set in wireless router mode, Router 2 set as Aimesh node with wired backhaul via TP-Link switch 1) ==> consistent trickle of RxBadPkts in some (but not all) port in both TP-L Switch 1 and 2.

Weird.

Options
Re:High RxBadPkt on TL-SG108E-Solution
2021-04-26 10:41:56 - last edited 2021-04-26 10:42:07

Hi All,

To help you find the answer quickly, I'd like to summarize the High "RxBadPkt" count issue here:

When the switch receives packets of 64 bytes, the untagged packet will be considered as "RxGoodPkt", while the tagged packet will be taken as "RxGoodPkt" and "RxBadPkt" together (the switch will still forward the tagged packets of 64 bytes). Thus you could see the "RxBadPkt" but not notice any bad performance on the switch. Please do not worry about this "RxBadPkt" on your switch, it will not block the network or affect the performance.

In fact, this is the Statistical mechanism of the chipset used on the TL-SG108E or other switch with the same chipset. The R&D team can't change the name of "RxBadPkt" since the value of the port statistics gets from the register in the chipset.

About why the tagged packets will be taken as "RxBadPkt", if you are interested, please refer to floor#20 in this thread.

The following is quoted with the main Problem Description for your reference.

edegrave wrote

On the trunk ports (Tagged) of the TP-link switches the RXBadPkt is the total count of the RxBadPkt packages connected to a configured access port ( Untagged 802.1Q PVID). Connecting the same device (laptop or AP) to a port without a configured PVID (so default PVID1) on either switch the RxBadPkt is 0 and stays 0. I'm not noticing bad performance on the access ports but the high RxBadPkt seems really strange. What could be the cause of this?

Connecting access point (or whatever device) to a port without a configured VLAN shows no RxBadPkt.

>> Omada EAP Firmware Trial Available Here << *Try filtering posts on each forum by Label of [Early Access]*
Recommended Solution
Options
Re:High RxBadPkt on TL-SG108E
2021-06-01 11:57:09

Thanks @Fae 

This issue seems to have resolved itself without any action on my part - same same hardware, same networking software, same settings, but zero RXBadPkt on any of my three switches.

Options