New 1 Gigabit pipe, dual band router required

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-11-06 00:35:43 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:27:00
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

We have just acquired a new 1 Gigabit fibre pipe to the premises and is backed up by an adsl 8Mbit connection.
On plugging the interfaces into the ER5120, was surprised to only see download and upload speeds so just over 200Mbits
I never suspected the routers and went straight to the ISP.

They asked me to plug my PC directly into my computer.
Once I did this I saw 960 and 970Mbits up and down. Yayyy!

No to see what was going on with the laptop.
Plugged it directly into the ISP router and still saw less that 200Mbits.
It seems that is all that it can provide

I then turns my attention to the router.
I plugged the PC into the ER5120 and the speed dropped to a 1/5 of its capacity will connecting the pc directly gave near 100%

It seems that the TL-ER5120 can not cope with the 1Gbit pipe. It seems that it can only cope with a MAXIMUM pf 500Mbits in theory but a paltry 250Mbits in practice.

I did NOT expect the TL-ER5120 to the weak link in the chain. If I want to use my big fat pipe in all of its glory I have to throw the TL-ER6120 away.

What a joke, it seem there is NOTHING in the TP-LINK range that can cope with putting 1Gbit and getting 1Gbit out! :mad: :confused:

This was a very expensive learning experience. I must be stupid and/or naïve but was I wrong to expect this from a "Gigabit" router?

I am now off to find something to do the job.
Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?
Options
2 Reply
Re:New 1 Gigabit pipe, dual band router required
2015-11-08 16:48:42 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:27:00
Hi Westhaddon, ER5120 is a Gigabit loadbalance router, and it NAT passthrough is 350Mbps.
Options
Thanks a lot
2015-11-09 17:11:33 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:27:00
Thanks Tom.
As you can imagine I have now established the fact that the Gigabit Router is NOT a Gigabit Router.
It was not purchased for its ability to provide a 3 gigabit ports but to act as the lynchpin for a Gigabit network:mad:

The fact that it can not even deliver 50% of the Gigabit capacity means that the ad men have been a little disingenous with thier numbers and have chosen to highlight the figures that are most beneficial for the product.
When I put 1 Gb into a router I expect a 1Gb out.

This is sh!t whichever spin you try to put on it. :p
Options