Does the TL-SG108E have a web interface?

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2015-12-16 08:34:23
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hello,

I am planning to buy TL-SG108E and not sure if it has web ui for configuration.
User manual seems to suggest it has built-in web ui for configuration.
But I want to make sure it really has web ui because I don't have an option of using windows.
Can anyone please confirm it this model indeed has web ui?
Thanks in advance.

- Vijay
Options
9 Reply
Re:Does the TL-SG108E have a web interface?
2015-12-24 14:56:04
You can access the switch's configuration page through a software Easysmart utility; the software can be download from the official website but it only support Windows operating system yet.
Options
2015-12-25 00:22:23
Thanks. I am still confused though. I contacted customer support and they say this switch has web config utility. The manual for TL-SG108E V2 also says it has web config utilty and should work for non windows OSes. Which version of the switch do you own?
Does anyone owns TL-SG108E V2 and can confirm existence of web config out of the box?
Options
2015-12-30 00:26:06

vijayphadke wrote

Thanks. I am still confused though. I contacted customer support and they say this switch has web config utility. The manual for TL-SG108E V2 also says it has web config utilty and should work for non windows OSes. Which version of the switch do you own?
Does anyone owns TL-SG108E V2 and can confirm existence of web config out of the box?

The TL-SG108E and TL-SG105E version 1 do not have a web UI. Version 2 will have a web UI, but customer support told me that it will be on the market (at least in my country, DE) somewhen in spring 2016.

Version 1 can be used only through a Windows-based Setup Utility. Ironically this utility seems to speak HTTP with the switch (I guess). At least the switch answers to a "GET /debug.htm HTTP/1.1" request sent to 192.168.0.1. I found this URL by looking at strings in the firmware image of the switch, but didn't investigate further what else might be implemented in the setup protocol.

So I did return the version 1 switch to the distributor and will later buy a version 2 model, since I don't have a Windows system, never had one (lucky me :-D ).
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2016-01-04 12:39:03

R1D2 wrote

The TL-SG108E and TL-SG105E version 1 do not have a web UI. Version 2 will have a web UI, but customer support told me that it will be on the market (at least in my country, DE) somewhen in spring 2016.

Version 1 can be used only through a Windows-based Setup Utility. Ironically this utility seems to speak HTTP with the switch (I guess). At least the switch answers to a "GET /debug.htm HTTP/1.1" request sent to 192.168.0.1. I found this URL by looking at strings in the firmware image of the switch, but didn't investigate further what else might be implemented in the setup protocol.

So I did return the version 1 switch to the distributor and will later buy a version 2 model, since I don't have a Windows system, never had one (lucky me :-D ).

Thanks for your response. I also found information on Amazon website for this product that confirms your findings. It does not have native web UI.
Perhaps version 2 will have but not sure why customer support said it has, perhaps they menat v2.
Options
You Can Try To Construct Your Own
2016-01-04 12:56:23
It's probably not worthwhile given the second version will apparently have a web interface, but if you download the Easy Smart utility and unzip it (use 7zip) you can then inspect the underlying java class files (with JD GUI for example) to see how they both discover new switches on the network as well as send configurations. For example, in the constructor for ServerThread class the default credentials are listed:
public String username = "admin";
public String password = "admin";

The TypePart class contains the TLV codes that are sent over the wire to the switch:
else if (moduleType == type2Page((short)4608))
{
module = new TrunkResolve();
}
else if (moduleType == type2Page((short)12800))
{
module = new StormControl();
}
else if (moduleType == type2Page((short)16384))
{
module = new PortStatistics();
}
else if (moduleType == type2Page((short)16640))
{
module = new PortMirror();
}
else if (moduleType == type2Page((short)16896))
{
module = new CableTest();
}
else if (moduleType == type2Page((short)17152))
{
module = new LoopPrevention();
}
else if (moduleType == type2Page((short)1793))
{
module = new SwitchLoginModule();
}
else if (moduleType == type2Page((short)2051))
{
module = new SwitchSettingModule();
}

Theoretically you could construct your own tools to then manage the switch, which would be great...also given it's java under the hood it should be more portable than I initially thought (given you need to use IE to even see the download button for the utility). All that to say...probably not worth it, just wait for v2.
Options
2016-02-27 02:49:19
I just got one of these from amz a week or two ago under the impression that it did not have a web interface. I installed the util and updated the firmware. At some point I just tried going to the ip of the device in a web browser and it came right up and worked fine. I'm pretty sure I have the v2 version of this switch.
Options
manage TL-SG108E switches from Linux : OK
2016-03-05 23:38:22
Hello Vijay,
you can manage TL-SG108E switches from Linux, as I do myself (Linux Mint).

For hardware version 1 (no web UI) you have two options:
1- using wine
the .exe can be well installed with wine. Some error messages occur but it does work well.
2- using java
as a matter of fact, the software issued by TP-link is written in java, so you can run it on Linux after installation of a JRE.
First you have to extract the software from the installation.exe (you can use wine for that, or Windows on another computer, both work)
You'll obtain a new .exe, rename it into .jar and run
java -jar "Easy Smart Configuration Utility.jar"
and it's OK.

(if you use a firewall you may have to tweak it, more infos here
https://www.shredzone.de/cilla/page/383/setting-up-tp-link-tl-sg108e-with-linux.html
)

As a conclusion: it could be very easy for TP-link to provide the .jar to Linux users... Would be a good idea for those not using wine.
Options
2016-03-06 20:25:54

vijayphadke wrote

Perhaps version 2 will have but not sure why customer support said it has, perhaps they menat v2.
Yes, they meant HW v2. It's out by now, see http://www.tp-link.us/download/TL-SG108E.html
༺ 0100 1101 0010 10ཏ1 0010 0110 1010 1110 ༻
Options
2016-03-14 10:30:30
Thanks everyone for your responses, it helps!
I guess v2 seems to have the web UI config utility and better question to ask is if this switch has in-built web server that provides the configuration facility without having to install anything via CD or exe?
tomatthe seems to suggest that web ui worked without installing any utility via CD? tomatthe can you please confirm?
Thanks!
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 14113

Replies: 9

Related Articles