Can't connect VPN from WAN to internal Mac OS X Server

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-01-05 02:18:47 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:39:20
Model : TL-R470T+

Hardware Version : V4

Firmware Version : 1.1.0 Build 20150526 Rel.71817s

ISP :

Hi, I have a TL-470T+ router with two wan ADSL connections and everything is working fine regarding to distribute the internet not the network.
I also have an MAC mini OS X Server and my problem is that I can't connect IPSec VPN from WAN to the Mac OS server on the internal network.
I can ping the public ip address of the ADSL router.
I've configured one of the ADSL routers to forward connections to the TL-470T+ to a specific port and ip address but still can't connect.
The private ip of the routers are:

TL-470T+: 192.168.128.1
ADSL Router 1 (TG 784n v3) : 192.168.1.1
ADLS Router 2 (ABN): 192.168.2.1

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for the help.
Options
6 Reply
Re:Can't connect VPN from WAN to internal Mac OS X Server
2016-01-08 16:22:43 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:39:20
So your connection can be simplied like this (just considerate one adsl connnection): ISP -- adsl router--TL-R470T+--MAC mini OS X Server and you want to build up an IPsec VPN server in the 470T+ so that the remote client can connect to the R470T+ and aceesss the MAC mini OS X Server ?
You said you have already open ports for the R470T+, which ports, 4500 and 500? Another question, does your adsl router supports IPsec VPN passthrough? Both the IPsec Passthrough supported and the right ports forwarded can the VPN successfully build up.

In fact, there are another easy way: check if your adsl support Bridge mode, if it does, configure it as bridge mode and then dial up in the r470T+. In this mode, your adsl router is not a NAT device so that you need to do nothing about port forwards and NAT passthrough.
Options
2016-01-08 16:37:15 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:39:20
no no, the R470T+ has no IPsec VPN function, so I think your purpose is to set up the VPN between the remote client and the mac os x server, is that right?
so your topology is ISP--adsl router(NAT) --R470T+(NAT)-- mac os x server, what a horrible topology for VPN, you need to open port in the adsl router for the R470T+ and then open the relevent ports in the R470T+ for the mac os x server, and the adsl router and R470T+ should both support IPsec VPN passthrough.

Maybe Ada's suggest is great, so you only need to open ports in the R470T+ for the server and just need the R470T+ supports IPsec VPN passthrough.
Options
2016-01-11 17:38:21 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:39:20

Ada wrote

So your connection can be simplied like this (just considerate one adsl connnection): ISP -- adsl router--TL-R470T+--MAC mini OS X Server and you want to build up an IPsec VPN server in the 470T+ so that the remote client can connect to the R470T+ and aceesss the MAC mini OS X Server ?
You said you have already open ports for the R470T+, which ports, 4500 and 500? Another question, does your adsl router supports IPsec VPN passthrough? Both the IPsec Passthrough supported and the right ports forwarded can the VPN successfully build up.

In fact, there are another easy way: check if your adsl support Bridge mode, if it does, configure it as bridge mode and then dial up in the r470T+. In this mode, your adsl router is not a NAT device so that you need to do nothing about port forwards and NAT passthrough.

The main goal on this is to build up a IPSec VPN for the remote clients to connect to the Mac OS Server. The VPN is configured on the Mac OS Server.
Previously it had only one broadband router and I had everything set up and running but now installed another router and TL-R470T + router to load-balancing. After installed the new broadband router, the settings on the router that was already intalled remain the same and I just opened the ports 4500, 500 and1701 on the TL-R470T + router.
If I remove the TL-R470T+ and connect the broadband router to the internal network everything works.

I can't figure out what I'm I doing wrong.
Options
2016-01-11 17:48:15 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:39:20

Kobe wrote

no no, the R470T+ has no IPsec VPN function, so I think your purpose is to set up the VPN between the remote client and the mac os x server, is that right?
so your topology is ISP--adsl router(NAT) --R470T+(NAT)-- mac os x server, what a horrible topology for VPN, you need to open port in the adsl router for the R470T+ and then open the relevent ports in the R470T+ for the mac os x server, and the adsl router and R470T+ should both support IPsec VPN passthrough.

Maybe Ada's suggest is great, so you only need to open ports in the R470T+ for the server and just need the R470T+ supports IPsec VPN passthrough.

Kobe, you're right. I want to setup a VPN from remote clients to Mac OX Server.
I know that the topology is horrible but I want to take advantage of the 2 broadband routers and double the internet speed. That why I installed the TL-R470T+.
As I said to Ada on my previous post, the VPN was working before I installed the second broadband router and the TL-R470T+, what means that the correct ports are opened on the broadband router and it supports IPSec VPN passthrough, right?

What do you mean when you say that I need to open ports in the ads router to the TL-R470T+?
Do you mean that the internal IP address of destination on those ports must be the TL-R470T+ router instead of the Mac OS X Server?
My ads router supports Bridge mode for sure but I don't have root access to change those settings. The ISP blocked it.
Options
2016-01-12 18:45:10 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:39:20
yes, Kobe is right, open ports in the adsl routers for the R70T+ for example external 4500 for internal 4500 and the internal IP is the router's WAN IP; then open ports in the R470T+ for the MAC server for example external 4500 for internal 4500 and the internal IP is the MAC server's IP. We should make the route is clean and the IPsec Passthrough is enable both in the adsl router and R470T+ router. I am not sure you will success, I nerver try to set up IPsec VPN with such a horrible topology.
Options
2016-01-13 18:27:30 - last edited 2021-08-21 05:39:20
Hi Ada and Kobe and thanks for your replies. Now it's working and it was easy to see the mystique I was doing.
The destination IP address that I was entering on the adsl router was the LAN IP address of the R470T+ instead of the WAN IP address.

Thanks a lot for your help.
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2605

Replies: 6

Related Articles