Access Points revert to "unmanaged" state when controller or AP goes offline

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.

This thread has been locked for further replies. You can start a new thread to share your ideas or ask questions.
2016-02-22 23:27:22
Model :

Hardware Version : Not Clear

Firmware Version :

ISP :

Hi,

I have a number of EAP120 access points set up to be managed through the TP-Link EAP Controller. These access points are set up in different remote locations, all connected by MPLS. If either the server or remote location goes offline, quite often, the access points will revert to an unmanaged state whereby it seems that I have to have physical access to the access point in order to use the EAP Discover utility to register it again with the EAP Controller.

Is there any way to prevent the access points from doing this, as it is a pain to have the APs appear as "Disconnected" in the controller and not be able to monitor and control them?

Thanks in advance
Options
8 Reply
Re:Access Points revert to "unmanaged" state when controller or AP goes offline
2016-02-23 16:39:54
If your server is offline, it truly would be disconnected. If IP address of your server which install controller won;t change, you EAP would connect to the controller again. EAP could remenber the IP address of you controller if you set before using EAP Discover utility. So next time, you could wait for sometime. But it can;t control EAP if EAP have been disconnected.
Options
2016-02-23 19:29:39

johnson wrote

If your server is offline, it truly would be disconnected. If IP address of your server which install controller won;t change, you EAP would connect to the controller again. EAP could remenber the IP address of you controller if you set before using EAP Discover utility. So next time, you could wait for sometime. But it can;t control EAP if EAP have been disconnected.

Thanks Johnson,
The server is back online (in fact, it never actually went offline on this occasion, the remote site went offline), however, the EAP doesn't remember that it was managed and the web GUI on the EAP is now available (instead of forbidden access message).
Options
2016-02-24 14:18:34
It shouldn't act like this. Can you provide more details about your topology including the subnet assignment
Options
2016-03-21 19:27:11
OK, this had improved with the latest 2016 firmware and server 2.2.3, however, when I left work on Friday we had ~35 APs "connected" out of a total of 54 and I have come into work this morning to find only 8 are now 'connected', even though the ones showing as 'disconnected are still online. I have rebooted a couple of APs to see if that makes any difference to their connectivity but it doesn't.
EAP controller is at our Head Office on a 10.201.x.x subnet, all of the stores are on a 10.97.x.x or 10.98.x.x subnet. No problems with the traffic routing, I can see the stores from here and the stores can see the network here. The APs have been showing as 'connected for 3 or 4 weeks now until today. Any help with this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Options
2016-04-05 09:29:21
Have you setup any Reboot Schedule feature on your EAP Controller ? If you didn't, you can have a try to configure it for rebooting all of the EAP devices every day to make it work more stably.
Options
2016-05-14 21:17:08
tankyou
Options
Thanks Johnson
2016-05-14 21:17:58
Thanks Johnson,
The server is back online (in fact, it never actually went offline on this occasion, the remote site went offline), however, the EAP doesn't remember that it was managed and the web GUI on the EAP is now available (instead of forbidden access message).
Options
2017-08-01 03:41:40
Thanks Johnson,
Options

Information

Helpful: 0

Views: 2016

Replies: 8

Related Articles